FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Preterm Labor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    bebe
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Preterm Labor

Hello everyone:

As you know, I am 27 weeks 6 days with twins. Up until last week my pregnancy was sailing along with no problems. Last Thursday (27 weeks 1 day) I had preterm labor. I was able to catch it early and went to the hospital. They put me on a Magnesium IV and stopped the contractions. I am still completely closed (no dialation or funneling) but my cervix is shortened to 1.85mm and slightly soft. They kept me on the hospital for 4 days and have me on Procardia to try and control any further contractions. I am now at home on strict bed rest. I am scared as HELL!!!!!!

What are my chances of my girls staying in another 4 to 8 weeks?

Thank you for any words of encouragement, prayers and/or advise.

bebe
    ME 43 DH 40, 7-02 (Domestic Adoption), 4-05 (DE #1, IVF #5),
    (M/C, Ectopic Pregnancy, Failed Adoption)

2. Advertisement

homeschoolmom
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bebe~

I'm so sorry for your scare! I'm really glad you caught it early and got it under control!
    I think your chances are good for making it longer. I can't say how long, but there is so much they can do to help you! My SIL went into PTL at 28 weeks. She was even leaking amniotic fluid. They kept her in the hospital and she managed to make it to 32 weeks! Her baby girl was small, but healthy!
    Take care of yourself and get lots of rest! Make sure dh goes and gets you lots of magazines, books, puzzles, etc. You and the girls are in my prayers!

Michelle

grainne
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bebe,

I can really appreciate how scared you must feel. But you are getting the best care and the hospital would have kept you there if they felt you needed it. I know its easier said then done but try to not spend all your time worrying. Have fun playing with your bump and talking to your baby girls. Play nice relaxing music and maybe try some guided meditations tapes.

Keeping your mind ocupied now will be the challenge. Lots of reading (but take a break from pregnancy books), movies and puzzles etc.

We are all here to talk to when you need to share your worries. Please keep us up to date.

Love grainne
    Me 46, TCC # 1 for 7 years.
    1st DE IVF 10/01/04 BFP,
    1st Beta 10/13/04 278, 2nd Beta 10/15/04 947

Liv's Mommy
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    bebe,
    OMG you must have been so scared. Thankfully you caught it in time! I am sure that they are keeping a very close eye on you now, so that is a good thing. Did the dr.s tell you what your chance of carrying for 4-8 wks longer was? Hopefully they can give you some reassurance. I will be thinking about you. Just take it as easy as you can and update us when you are able.
    Jen 36 dh 40
    #1 dd 7/17/02
    My precious little girl!!
    #2 dd 6/10/05
    My other precious little girl!!

suzq515
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my goodness, I hope all is well for now. Thankfully you made the right decision in heading for the Dr. You and the girls are in my thoughts and prayers. I am hoping 8 weeks more for you. Take it easy, try not to go too crazy on bed rest, and think positive!!!

Sue
    ME-31/ DH-30
    Furbaby- Lulu 6
    born 5/28/05

3 grueling years of IVF for a beautiful bundle of joy!!!

ScrappyCat
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Not to worry...just follow your doctor's orders and everything will be fine....I was put on bedrest with ds, two months before he was due, with brethine to stop the contractions. I was dilated to a 3 at the time...he came at 38 weeks, perfectly healthy with a *perfect* 10 on the apgar test!!

Just take it easy, accept the fact that you are on bedrest and the fact that there is nothing you can do about it. Once you do that, the next 4 to 8 weeks will fly by. I know that's easier said than done...but, your babies depend on it. And, worrying/being scared is not going to do a thing for you or the babies. Look at it like an extended vacation, a gift from God...cause once those babies get here, you are not going to have a moments peace!!! LOL!!!

TBS, TNT, Lifetime...all good channels!!!

Let dh pamper you!

Hugs,

Lisa

Cari
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My cervix with thw twins was at .5cm at 26w4days. I was induced at 36 weeks due to PIH. Relax, relax and relax. Stay in bed, drink lots of water. When i say stay in bed, thats what i mean, i took sponge baths, and only got up to go to the doctor.

It can be done. Take in one day at a time, and time goes by.

You are in my thoughts and prayers, i know what you are going thru.
    Cari
    Kyle and Erin
    1/21/02

Ryan John
    10/15/04

hope4jo
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone had a lot of good advice but I wanted to let you know you're in my thoughts and prayers too.

Today, I put u/s pictures in a little album for one of the babies. Maybe try to find things like that to do in bed.

Jo

missyk
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sorry I am late in replying,, HUGE hugs to you!! I know you are scared. Please do as they told you and stay in bed. I know you can do this! Keep us updated if you find the time and are able!
    Missyk
    Mommy to Kaelyn 11/22/2002--My little sweetie!
    My Wild mamma!--Carlee Grace 05/31/05