FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Heartburn

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    amanda28
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Heartburn

Hi Ladies,

Sorry to seem like a whiner but it seems as though I am going to have every bad symptom of pregnancy that there is. I am 24w and still have morning sickness 6 out of 7 mornings.

Now, last night I had Chili for dinner and I felt like my chest and throat were going to explode. I have never suffered from heartburn before and I had no idea that is what it was. I was speaking to a friend and she said not to take rolaids but to eat black licorice and root beer. Of course I didn't have either one of those in. Has anyone heard of this? I was still awake at 11:30 with it when my DH got home from hockey so I broke down and took some rolaids but they didn't really help all that much. It finally went away so that I could sleep around 3am.

Does anyone have any other "tricks" to get rid of this instead of medication?

Thanks
    Amanda
    6/10/05
    Eric 5/31/05

Isaac 9/11/07

2. Advertisement

missyk
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    i know what you mean, I have had all the symptoms with my first pg and now this one too. I am also sick. And heart burn, I have it EVERY single day. TUMS, TUMS, TUMS! WHen i was pg with Kaelyn they worked well, THis time around they dont, but they give me SOME relief anyway. You can also take Mylanta. I havent heard of the black licorice or rootbeer, but i dont think rootbeer helps cause i have drank it and still had heart burn.
    Missyk
    Mommy to Kaelyn 11/22/2002--My little sweetie!
    My Wild mamma!--Carlee Grace 05/31/05

suzq515
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Ob said Tums are your very best friend during pregnancy. Not only do they relieve heartburn but they are fortified with calcium.

Sorry you are suffering. Try some flat ginger ale or herbal teas. They always worked when I was a kid.

Good Luck and feel better.

Sue
    ME-31/ DH-30
    Furbaby- Lulu 6
    born 5/28/05

3 grueling years of IVF for a beautiful bundle of joy!!!

shopgirl
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I too had heartburn with my daughter and again have it really bad with this pregnancy. I just deal with it. It is quite painful. I was told milk helps because it coats your throat but have not yet tried it. I'm not a big fan of milk.

Good luck.
    shopgirl (39)
    6 yr Daughter (IVF) 4th attempt
    3 yr Son (DIUI) 1st attempt
    Trying for #3 (got the Donor Egg speech)

bebe
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tums did not work for me at all so my doctor said to take malax or mylanta and that did the trick.

Good Luck,

bebe
    ME 43 DH 40, 7-02 (Domestic Adoption), 4-05 (DE #1, IVF #5),
    (M/C, Ectopic Pregnancy, Failed Adoption)

Erin26
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've had heartburn all along. I agree with the other ladies.. TUMS. I actually like the Walmart brand the best. Not as chalky. Also, try to avoid anything with tomatos in it. They are the worst for heartburn.

Good luck!

Erin
    Age 27, DH 27
    Cycle 6 -IVF BFP!!!! EDD 6/23
    Nathan James
    Born 5/31/05
    6lbs 10oz 19in

homeschoolmom
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I get heartburn really bad too. I've used Tums which help most of the time, but when I get it really bad I eat a small hand full of slivered almonds and drink a cup of milk. My grandma told me about the almonds and milk and it really works!

I hope you don't have to suffer like that again!
    Michelle

Liv's Mommy
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Amanda,
    I have had this with both of my pregnancies. This time around it is worse though. You can take Tums and they usually kick in pretty quickly. However, they don't seem to take the burn away for too long. With this pregnancy I have been using Zantac 75mg. It is over the counter and my OB said that they are fine to take. They work really well but do take a little longer to kick in. My OBdid say that you can take the Tums and the Zantac together. I haven't done that yet though. I have just taken one orthe other. Hope you find something that works for you.
    Jen 36 dh 40
    #1 dd 7/17/02
    My precious little girl!!
    #2 dd 6/10/05
    My other precious little girl!!

Rilanator
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    Amanda - You have gotten a lot of good advice, but I wanted to tell you what has worked best for me with all 3 pregnancies - Zantac, as Liv's Mommy mentioned. I have not tried the OTC version yet (although it is in my medicine cabinet), but did have prescription strength tablets that I took when the pain was unbearable (mine was so bad that it felt like a knife was cutting through my stomach!). The Zantac really worked wonders. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Jennifer
    Mom to Nathan 01/28/02
    and Ali 07/26/03
    #3 due 06/15/05 - It's a boy!!

Teddybear
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I feel your pain!! I've had horrible heartburn with both pg's. This one is actually worse. I have a bottle of tums everywhere. In my desk, the car, upstairs, downstairs..... you get the idea! Milk has helped some, but not too often.

Lori