FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Saw the OB last night

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    homeschoolmom
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Saw the OB last night

Yesterday was a REALLY bad day for me!! I was a complete emotional wreak! My poor kids, they have had to deal with a sad mommy a lot lately! I try very hard to hide it, but yesterday I was not very successful. My older two knew mom was feeling bad!
    Anyways...my OB told me the peri did do a Level 2 U/S Wednesday and did state there were no other abnormalities. So that was encouraging! I was so emotional though, I didn't know what to say or do. He went ahead and sent papers to get an approval for an amnio and u/s. When I left, I did feel somewhat better, knowing the peri had said everything else looked okay. DH told me last night that he even remembers the peri saying everything else looked good, but I didn't hear that. Good thing dh was with me!! DH and I were up very late last night talking and me crying more. We have decided to not have the amnio. We both felt we would be devastated if I m/c, especially if the baby was perfect! We found out that statistically we have a 2% chance of his kidney problem being the cause of a chromosomal defect. Dh said that means we have a 98% chance that he's okay! My AFP came back showing a 1 in 10,000 chance. I'm trying to think of that, because it is a very encouraging amount. All my other AFP's have come back normal and my other kids are perfect, it's just this one has a kidney issue, so I'm praying!! I will go back to see the peri in 3-4 wks for him to monitor the baby.

Thank you all for being so supportive and encouraging! I REALLY appreciate each of you!
    Michelle

2. Advertisement

kathyd
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Michelle,

BIG HUGS TO YOU!

I am soooo sorry that you are going through so much emotionally. It really sounds like everything with your little man (except his little kidney) looks really good. I absolutley think not having the amnio is the best decision for you and your family. Since you really have no markers, it is not worth the stress and anxiety that the amnio brings.

We are all here for you ALWAYS! Please cry, lean on and laugh with us whenever you need to!

Love,

Kath
    me 36 DH 33
    m/c 12-7-01
    m/c 3-22-02
    DD Grace 5/9/03
    m/c 3-22-04 :angel
    DS Ryan 5/12/05

grainne
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good for you. I'm glad to here you have made your decision. 98% sounds pretty darn good. Hopefully you can enjoy the rest of your pregnancy and not worry too much. I am sure everything will work out absolutely fine. Maybe its easy for me to say and of course we all want our babies to be perfect, but in the scheme of things this does not sound like something that would affect his life in a very large way.

Please dont struggle with this alone. We are here to be a shoulder to cry on.

Love Grainne
    Me 46, TCC # 1 for 7 years.
    1st DE IVF 10/01/04 BFP,
    1st Beta 10/13/04 278, 2nd Beta 10/15/04 947

suzq515
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am sending you lots and lots of hugs!!! We are here for you always.

Sue
    ME-31/ DH-30
    Furbaby- Lulu 6
    born 5/28/05

3 grueling years of IVF for a beautiful bundle of joy!!!

casey
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to hear you sound so sad. I can only imagine how hard it is to worry about your unborn baby but you've done the research so that's good.
    I had a positive AFP...1 in 180 chance of downs...the peri and OB suggested an amnio but we declined as well. Our decision was based much like yours on the idea that we could miscarry a perfectly healthy baby from the procedure. That and we wouldn't terminate anyway...so it's always a personal decision and you have to do whatever works for you.
    With medical technology where it's at and I believe you said surgery was the worst scenario for your little guy, I think you all will be just fine.
    Katy...SAHM to
    Madison Elizabeth 4/29/2003
    Lauren Catherine 4/29/2003
    Ella Renee 5/31/2005

little_roo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry you've been so sad. I hope now that you made your decision it will help you enjoy the rest of your pg because you deserve it. Remember we will always be here for you.
    Kim (dx PCOS) - 31/DH - 34
    06/05 02/07 04/04

katywall
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Michelle,
    I'm glad you are feeling some better; it is hard not to worry, but sounds like your little babes chances for great health are good. I personally didn't have any genetic testing because I knew I would worry sick about it if anything was abnormal and so often they are falsely abnormal and the babe's are GREAT. I'm praying that that is the case for you as well, but sorry you have to go through so much anxiety and worry though. please enjoy this time as much as you can; it goes quickly.
    +++prayers and hugs,
    katy
    Katy
    dh 34

EDD 6/20/04

Erin26
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm so glad you got some reassurance. I've been thinking about you. I was telling my mom about you yesterday and she told one our family friends had a little girl with the same problem found during an U/S. They did not do an amnio, but were very scared because of her age, 41. By the time she was born the kidney had corrected itself and she was perfect. I'm praying for the same outcome for you.

Love,
    Erin
    Age 27, DH 27
    Cycle 6 -IVF BFP!!!! EDD 6/23
    Nathan James
    Born 5/31/05
    6lbs 10oz 19in