FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
How To Get Rid of Bottles???

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DMS721
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired

How To Get Rid of Bottles???

Patrick is on whole milk now, and that was a super easy transition. Now I'd like to get rid of the bottes and just use his straw cup. He uses his straw cup with some water in it, just fine at dinner time (and has since he was 6 months). Today I tried to give him some milk in his straw cup in place of his afternoon bottle, and you would have thought the world was coming to an end. He took one sip, and then tossed it and refused to drink any more. He had a major meltdown and I ended up just giving him his milk in his bottle, and he was as happy as could be. I want to make sure he gets his milk, because he is still pretty much boycotting real foods and is still on his gerber foods (I'll take any tips on that problem too! lol) I really want him to be off his bottles by the time he starts his new daycare in Sept. Even though they allow bottles/pacifiers until the child is 2, I want the bottles gone.

Dawn

2. Advertisement

Charmian
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about trying a different kind of sippy cup for milk rather then the straw cup?
    Charmian

mommy to angel baby
    Joshua Robert b/d Feb 9, 04 @ 25wks 6days via emergency c-section.
    Suspected PROM at 16wks 5 days, severe oligohydramnios and PTL.
    Surprise EDD 08/11/09, scheduled c section.
    Welcome ~Brodie Steven William~ our rainbow baby, July 20, 2009 9:53am at 36wks6days 6lbs 5 oz 19.5 inches Mommy and Daddy are in love

DMS721
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    We have different straw cups. One is short with handles that he uses for water. The other is a taller closer to a bottle shape that we have for his milk. We also tried putting the milk in his "water" cup, but that didn't help a whole lot. Last night at dinner instead of giving him some water, I gve him milk instead. He was thirsty enough that he did drink some of it, so I guess that is progress. I guess this is going to be much slower going than I thought it would be....

Dawn

DMS721
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    As much as I don't like sippy cups (as opposed to straw cups), I went out and got some today to see if he will drink milk from that instead.

Dawn

Lovey1226
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    We transitioned our son at 12mo from bottleof milk to sippy cup. I started with a few of those that have the clear silicone spouts. They were nuby brand I think. I hated them because the milk could "pool" around the top and DS learned how to "fling" that little bit of milk around. Cool trick, but no fun to clean up.

He stuck with his morning "bottle" of milk until about 13months then he was over the bottle. I just gave him the milk in a sippy. Even now, he HATES milk in a straw cup - only a sippy or a real glass. Our straw cups are for juice or water.

Next up, transitioning my 11mo old to whole milk, then I hope to be bottle free by no later then Halloween.
    Kim (35) & Dh (35)-
    CJ (7-18-08) Miracle of domestic adoption!
    CC (8-13-09) Natural Surprise

DMS721
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovey1226 View Post
    We transitioned our son at 12mo from bottleof milk to sippy cup. I started with a few of those that have the clear silicone spouts. They were nuby brand I think. I hated them because the milk could "pool" around the top and DS learned how to "fling" that little bit of milk around. Cool trick, but no fun to clean up.

He stuck with his morning "bottle" of milk until about 13months then he was over the bottle. I just gave him the milk in a sippy. Even now, he HATES milk in a straw cup - only a sippy or a real glass. Our straw cups are for juice or water.

Next up, transitioning my 11mo old to whole milk, then I hope to be bottle free by no later then Halloween.
    Patrick already figured out that fling thing with his straw cup! lol I think the sippy cups I got were the nuby ones that you mentioned. This morning he showed no interest in it. :/

The transition to whole milk went very smoothly for us. I did half and half for about a week, then just to milk. Silly me, thought switching from bottles would be just as easy! lol

Dawn

B
    is trying to keep on keeping on...
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy
    I don't remember how we did it with Timothy, but his preschool was pretty instrumental for sure. The girls aren't interested in anything but water from their sippy's. Our pedi said she's not too worried about preemies being off the bottle @ a year like she is full-term. She said the sucking and comfort of a bottle is good for them? Anyhow, we will be working on the transition soon so I'll look to your advice on how to proceed!

Good luck!
    B
    1/06 Our 35w FET Miracle
    5/09 Doubly Blessed 31w5d FET bundles of joy

Thank you God. You've made our dreams come true.

DMS721
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    Brandi - so far we are doing well. I got a sippy cup (thanks Charmain for that suggestion!), and the first try he refused it and he went down for his nap with no bottle. When he got up he took a little from it. I offered him some at lunch, and he took some. I just kept offering him the cup at various times throughout the day. The first day or two, he was only taking a sip or two at a time, so he was probably on the lower end of how much milk he needs to have. But by day 3, he was drinking fairly well out of it. I found that he is drinking smaller amounts more frequently though.

I am still giving him a bottle at night, just because I want to make sure he is getting enough before bedtime (I value my sleep lol). I'm thinking maybe next week I will try to stop the bedtime bottle once I know he will drink from the sippy without problems.

So other than the first day, it has gone well. Originally I was just going to get rid of one bottle per day in exchange for the sippy, and stay at it for a week before taking away the next bottle. But then with the way Patrick is, I decided it would just be better to do it all at once.

Good luck!

Dawn

BC-MiracleTwins
    Back on the IVF road for baby #4 !!! 2013!
    Board Coordinator
    Over 5,000 Post BC-MiracleTwins's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Barge-

With my twins, we would give them a different cup with Milk and a snack in the high chair. They seemed to like this idea and it worked.

We used to give them bottles while they laid on the couch. So changing the whole scene and routine helped. I got this advice from another twin mommy. They were off night bottles at 18-20months.

They slept through the nights without a fuss! I felt the transition went easier than I thought. It's much harder on us parents than the kids.

We waited so long, only because I'm not a pusher for them to get off of bottles at 1yr old. They were not ready and i was not ready to give up my nights yet. This seemed to be easier. Every family works differently :-)

Maybe a small snack like crackers and sippy with milk before bed?
    Last edited by BC-MiracleTwins; 07-28-2010 at 01:04 AM.
    *~* Proud Mommy of *~*
    Twin Angels~ Taryn & Anthonie-James (b/d March 2007)
    Living Miracle Twins~ Austin & Trinity (May 2008)
    Our Newest member~ Abigail (Sept 2010)

Baby #4 on HIS way!!

DMS721
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    BC - Miracle twins - when you did the night time bottle transition, did you give them their snack/sippy before bath, or how did your routine go?

Currently this is our routine:
    bath, story, bottle, cuddles, and to bed.

So would we do snack, bath, cuddles, and bed? His room is upstairs, so after bath, I am thinking it would really throw him for a loop if we brought him back down to eat. Or I suppose we could do a snack up in his room as an option too.

And you are right about it being harder for the parent. I really didn't have a problem with the daytime bottles, but I will miss the bedtime bottle.

Dawn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast