FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
my baby is going to sleep away camp

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    larasmom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Post my baby is going to sleep away camp

my baby girl is going to her very first sleep away camp. she will be going for a 2 week session. it is a jewish camp near us called camp louise

2. Advertisement

Basherte
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy
    Mazel tov to Lara!!! How exciting for her! My DS is 10 and he went to sleep away camp (Ramah in California) for the first time last year. He went for one week and he had a blast. He is leaving on Wednesday for a 2 week session (after he comes home from Europe with his father on Sunday....OY VEY!)

And how is the camper's Mommy holding up??? I cried in the airport when he left last year- I'm sure I'll do the same this year. Now I just have to get him packed.

Bash
    Me 42 DH 42
    DS (from first marriage) 04/23/97
    Dx: Male Factor; ttc 1 year; 2 IUI's BFN; IVF/ICSI #1 July 2006 BFP!!!
    4/8/07 Our miracle boy!!!

"Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" -The Grateful Dead
    "Greater is the one who facilitates than the one who does"- Talmud

DramaMama
    is praying!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Since I was one of the people who recommended Camp Louise to you I am dying to hear how Lara is doing there! I hope she is having a blast:-)

I can't wait till my ds is old enough for Camp Airy since I have such wonderful memories of going there.
    Hilary (37) DH (40)
    IUI #4 BFP 9/05 Jared Ian born 5/6/06
    IVF#1 BFP 3/09 Gabriel Ethan born 11/8/09

Please DH gets a new kidney ASAP!

larasmom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    she is going this tuesday for a 2 week session.

i cannot wait to hear how she like it. she is nervous and excited all rolled into one.

i went to kaufmann camp for boys and girls in huntingtown, md. it closed about 28 years ago. i actually started a yahoo group and have located 178 people that went as campers and staff members. we are actually having a reunion august 4th.

i got her all the "in" things for the girls her age. her own linens, a folding chair for the little patio outside her bunk, a matt for the floor by her bed, a hanging closet organizer.

i never had to bring any of those items with me to camp and i fit in perfectly. but girls these days are very cruel and i don't want to her to feel left out...so i bought it all for her to bring. oy vey.

and the price to go there is steep. i better start working on selling more promotional items and party supplies to be able to afford both kids going next summer.

for a 4 week session it is $3200 per kid.

larasmom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    we get to camp, unload the car. they have you go to the camp bank and make a deposit so the kids have spending money for the snack and camp clothes canteen as well as different trips they offer.

next is the infirmary. as you walk up they stick a thermometer in the kids mouth and tell them to go wait in the line. the medical staff performs an exam and checks for head lice, etc. the nurse comes out with lara and all her paperwork.

your daughter is running a temperature of 99.9 we are going to bring her inside and have the doctor exam her and retake her temperature. if it is still high she is going to have to turn around and go home. we cannot have a child enter camp with a fever.

i explained to the nurse that she is nervous and didn't sleep last night and she runs fevers when she is tired and nervous. the nurse's response.........wouldn't be that high due to stress, etc. i said well i want to speak to the doctor. so they have me come and in and i spoke to the doctor. she said well what we can do is have lara lay in bed for an hour and recheck her. if the temp has not dropped then she is going to have to go home.

so i turn around and dh is no where to be found.......the nurse closed the door in his face and he thought he was not allowed in the infirmary due to it being an all girls camp and they are doing exams on girls. so being the man that he is he walks away and finds a shady tree and takes a nap. meanwhile i am inside with lara and keep leaving her and going outside to look for dh. i finally found him. poor lara was hysterically crying. what a horrible first experience at a sleep away camp for your very first time.

her temp had gone down to 99.1 and they said she could stay at camp....so we went to the bunk and unpacked her and said our goodbyes. she was so happy and smiling and no tears when we left from her or me. she was pushing us out of the bunk and blew us a kiss and that was it.

DramaMama
    is praying!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    That must have been stressful!! I remember every summer my mom was worried about the lice check!

What bunk is she in? My first bunk was bunk 11.
    Hilary (37) DH (40)

larasmom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    she is in bunk 26. all the girls in her bunk are there for the 2 week session. 1/2 of them are first timers which is fantastic

got her first letter today. she is so happy and having a blast.

today she went whitewater rafting and tonight they have their dance with the boys

friday she is going cave exploring.

i am sure i will get a phone call soon that they need more money from us.

i deposited $100 in her account and in the past two days she has already spent $67 of it.

DramaMama
    is praying!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    OMG! Bunk 26 was my second bunk

I am so glad to hear she is having a great time. That must make it so much easier for you. She'll probably be begging to stay when the time is up. She looks so happy in the pic! Do the girls still need to wear white on Friday nights and Saturday?
    Hilary (37) DH (40)

larasmom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    i know they have to wear white on friday night. i didnt know they had to wear white on saturdays too.

i would love to keep her an additional 2 weeks but i don't have a spare $1650 laying around

DramaMama
    is praying!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    I know it's crazy expensive! I told DH we have to start saving for when Jared is old enough to go.

We had to wear white on Friday and on Saturday till after services.
    Hilary (37) DH (40)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast