FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Jewish Day School

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Sharon
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Jewish Day School

We toured at the Oakland Hebrew Day School today. About a month ago I started freaking about school for J and where his sense of identity would come from. This is so not what I thought we would do. We have another few months to make a final decision but we are really drawn to this. Its a wonderful environment and he would belong to a strong community. The drive is a major drag--20 minuted each way so 40 minutes in the AM and another 40 in the PM. He will have the hebrew from home reinforced. Some disonance as its a Modern orthodox school and we are secular israelis but the staff assures me that most of the school is very non-observant. He is expected to wear a kippa and after 5th grade girls and boys pray separately (to avoid a mechitza they just pray in different rooms).

So do any of you send your kids to Jewish Day School? What do you think? Good choice?
    Nov. 2, 2002 - Jordan Born
    Dec 19, 2002 - May 23, 2003 raising fabulous baby Jordan in Antigua
    May23, 2003 - Jordan home

2006 Waiting to fost-adopt

2. Advertisement

AmyP
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We don't, we have a strong community at our temple and I really like that Mia is in public school with our neighbors and that there is so much diversity in her school. I think she can get in touch with her Jewish identity Friday nights at services and Sunday mornings at Sunday school. Next year though -2nd grade she starts Hebrew school on Tuesdays - if she went to Jewish day school she wouldn't have to do that - which I know tempts some people.

Not to pooh pooh the day school idea - but why is your synagogue not offering the kind of community and Jewish identity you are looking for?
    Amy

Mom to Mia
    born Guatemala 4/2/2000
    home to Boston 7/5/2001

Sharon
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BC-AmyP
    ...but why is your synagogue not offering the kind of community and Jewish identity you are looking for?
    We don't belong to a congregation. We will at some point but again, being Israeli, its about language and culture for us, not services. Growing up i did not go to services once with my parents until we came tio the US. And then only on Yom Kippur. At OHDS he would be learning Hebrew literature, Israeli history, building a sukka with friends etc.

Afternoons would be for friends in town, sports etc. We live in place that functions like a small town (albeit on the edge of a big city) and we run into friends at the park, gym, Trader Joe's, and the many many town events. We also have monthly adoption group playdates. So his life would remain diverse.

I do like the idea of public school but to be honest I had a less than spectacular experience. The Brookline public schools are academically wonderful but for me they were socially awful (I did Runkle, Devotion and than BHS).
    Nov. 2, 2002 - Jordan Born
    Dec 19, 2002 - May 23, 2003 raising fabulous baby Jordan in Antigua
    May23, 2003 - Jordan home

2006 Waiting to fost-adopt

AmyP
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like a good balance - Was Devotion the Israeli magnet school when you were there? (It is now)
    Amy

Mom to Mia
    born Guatemala 4/2/2000
    home to Boston 7/5/2001

Littlechum
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    I have never even considered a Jewish Day school, mainly because I really want my kids to be in public school. We recently joined a very active temple, and although I am not real religious, I plan on being active in things that involve Jewish customs and traditions such as the sukkah you mentioned. There was a family sukkah building day a couple of weeks ago. My ds already started Sunday school and some of his classmates go to his public Kindergarten. He will be learning Hebrew (although not as intense as at a Jewish Day school, of course) along with all the other fun stuff we learn at Hebrew school. There is a very strong sense of Jewish community at this temple so I feel my kids will have the best of both worlds.

I say your decision should be based on what the public school is like, and if you have a synagogue near you that will offer you what you want. If not, then a Jewish Day school may be a good idea, although that drive doesn't sound fun at all...day after day, month after month, year after year...