FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
What is your brisket recipe?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    AmyP
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What is your brisket recipe?

I buy my brisket at Costco - I have never been disappointed. Also I use a Le Crueset which really seems to make a difference. I sear the brisket, then cover it with a paste of Lipton Onion Soup Mix, ketchup and red wine, Slice lots of sweet onion and cook covered in the oven at 325 for about 3 hours.
    Amy

Mom to Mia
    born Guatemala 4/2/2000
    home to Boston 7/5/2001

2. Advertisement

Asiamaato2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds yummy. My favorite Brisket Recipe is called " Moms". LOL
    Karla-Mom to Sarah from China and Jade from Cambodia

Natalie Rose
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is similar to yours except I buy the brisket from a Kosher butcher (I might do the Costco thing, though). I use La Creuset (is there any other pot????) and I use tomato paste instead of ketchup.

I've never baked it in the oven though. I always do it on the stovetop. I wonder if it matters?

ETA: almost forgot! About an hour before it's done, I cut up Yukon Gold potatoes and slice the brisket. I then add it all back to the pot.
    There is no path to peace - peace is the path ~ Mahatma Gandhi

AmyP
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie Rose
    Mine is similar to yours except I buy the brisket from a Kosher butcher (I might do the Costco thing, though). I use La Creuset (is there any other pot????) and I use tomato paste instead of ketchup.

I've never baked it in the oven though. I always do it on the stovetop. I wonder if it matters?

ETA: almost forgot! About an hour before it's done, I cut up Yukon Gold potatoes and slice the brisket. I then add it all back to the pot.
    100% agree on slicing and returning to the pot. I guess the other thing is I make it the day before and get rid of excess fat.

Tomato paste sounds much healthier than ketchup - I just love that sweetness - I wonder how tomato paste and sweet wine or port would work...
    Amy

Mom to Mia
    born Guatemala 4/2/2000
    home to Boston 7/5/2001

Natalie Rose
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC-AmyP
    100% agree on slicing and returning to the pot. I guess the other thing is I make it the day before and get rid of excess fat.

Tomato paste sounds much healthier than ketchup - I just love that sweetness - I wonder how tomato paste and sweet wine or port would work...
    Hmmmmm...brisket with Manischewitz - a whole new concept!

Let us know if you do it this way. I cannot comment because I have no clue how it would come out - you could do a search for recipes to see the proper proportions.

ITA with making it the day before, too. It's so much better the next day!
    There is no path to peace - peace is the path ~ Mahatma Gandhi

larasmom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    i have 2 recipes.

1 is to put the brisket in one of the seal in bags in a pan. put in onions, carrots and potatoes and a jar of chili sauce with a cup of water

the other is to use aluminum foil and wrap the brisket in it with 2 cups of water, onion soup mix, onions, carrots and potatoes...............then sit the wrapped brisket in a baking tin.

cook either way for 3 1/2 hours at 300 degrees

i actually made brisket for dinner last night and figured i would have enough for dinner tonight but my family inhaled the whole thing.

dd123
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one but its not kosher (so those of you who are kosher, please ignore). I use two cans of Campbells French Onion Soup, two cans of Campbells Golden Mushroom soup.

Sear the brisket, pour the soups over it, then cook for 1 1/2 hours. Take brisket out of pot, slice it, put brisket and bag of baby carrots into pot. Cook for another 1 1/2-2 hours depending on the size of the brisket. I usually use a 3 1/2 lb piece of meat for just our family.

dd123
    ds 4 1/2