FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Tzedaka

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    AmyP
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Tzedaka

We all like nice stuff - Dp and I love to shop, love to buy new things for the house, love to buy stuff for Mia. That said, we also want Mia to grow up understanding that we are very lucky and that we have an obligation to give back to the community.

About a year ago we started becoming distressed around Mia's behavior in stores - she started asking for things and becoming very insistent and even crying when we said no. so we've done some things which have helped a bit - but we still are not sure that we really have her on the right road.

We give Mia $5 a week allowance. $2 goes to savings, $2 she can spend on whatever, and $1 goes to tzedaka. So when she asks for stuff in the stroe we can say "Mommy and mama give you toys for Chanuka and your birthday - other things that you want you can buy with your allowance." This usually works, and I hope is starting to give her a sense of perspective.

I thought she would put the $1 in the tzedaka box in Sunday school - but we always forget it so I put it in. But that means she had money so that she can buy things and donate them to children (like toys for Chanuka)

The other day I gave her a book - and she was disappointed that it was not some pink thing or a doll. I got really ticked off and told her that I would be donating the book to a child that would appreciate it. She threw a fit - but I stuck to my guns. I don't want her to associate tzedaka with punishment - so I hope that was not part of the lesson - but I think she "got' the message of being appreciative of all presents - not just the pink ones.

Sorry this is so long. I am very interested in what you all do to promote the values of tzedaka and tikkum olam in your children. (and if you are having any luck with it
    Amy

Mom to Mia
    born Guatemala 4/2/2000
    home to Boston 7/5/2001

2. Advertisement

chana
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have a Tzedaka box in your house? One she can make is great. The school where my daughter goes to had her bring in a film case each week with pennies. Each day, they would be a penny or two in the tzedaka box. She started doing it at home also. When the box gets fuller, she comes with me to donate the money. She got a lot of money from my family one year for the Holidays so she decided to give a part of it to Tzedakah. She was probbly 7. We gave her a few different Jewish organizations to choose form and told her what each one did. She was so proud of doing that with her own money.
    Just some ideas.
    Jennifer
    10/03 - 10/05 1 chemical preg., 5 BFN's, and 1 failed FET
    losing weight and hoping to try again in August 2006

Sharon
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Jordan is only three so its early yet. We have a tzdeka box at home but I think he thinks its a game to put coins in there. I think we'll start putting more of an emphasis this next year.

I like what you did with the book Amy. I think its important to see the value in things and learn not to take them for granted.

In Israel I was the Director of Development for the Society for the Protection of Nature in Israel (oldest and biggest environmental organization). Once in a while we would get donations from kids, or whole classes as part of tzdekah projects. Some bar/bat mitzvah kids would have on their invitations that in lieu of presents to send a donation to SPNI and I would get a flurry of checks after the event in the name of this or that bar/bat mitzvah. I was alwasy so impressed that parents had taught their young children to not only donate but to make a choice. They obviously thought about what kind of organization to give to, decided on environment and found us.
    Nov. 2, 2002 - Jordan Born
    Dec 19, 2002 - May 23, 2003 raising fabulous baby Jordan in Antigua
    May23, 2003 - Jordan home

2006 Waiting to fost-adopt

AmyP
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I like the idea of getting her involved with choosing a charity. I might work with her Sunday school teacher on this as a project! Oooh - I'm getting excited about this!

Thanks guys!
    Amy

Mom to Mia
    born Guatemala 4/2/2000
    home to Boston 7/5/2001

Natalie Rose
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to do something like this with my DD. Thanks for the inspiration!
    There is no path to peace - peace is the path ~ Mahatma Gandhi

cooroo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    At our last temple we had a fantastic program for 7th graders--bar/bat mitzvah aged kids. For presents, parents had the option of donating to a general fund in honor of a child. Then at the end of the year, the kids had presentations from many organizations, went on site tours of some, and the kids got to decide how the tzedaka was divided. It was a pretty hefty chunk of money, and they felt very empowered being able to be young philanthropists. I think something like this could be done on an individual family level, no?

xo-coo
    ttc: 4+ yrs me: 36, DH: 37
    3 natural m/c
    6 IUIs: 4 BFN, 1 m/c, 1 chem
    IVF #1 BFN IVF #2 BFN NO MORE TX
    Going to China Late Summer '07???