FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Anyone else getting really bad charlie horses?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RiTay
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else getting really bad charlie horses?

Over the past few weeks I've started getting these aweful charlie horses in my left leg. They last anywhere from like 5-10 minutes and are more intense than ones I've had in the past. They do happen on nights after I work a 12 hour shift, and being a nurse, I am on my feet, just about speedwalking, most of that time, so maybe that's just too much for me? I don't know. What worries me is that they are only in my left leg. My left leg is the leg I had a massive blood clot in when I was 14. I've got a call out to my hematologist to see what she thinks...the nurse said she might want an venous u/s I've already had one this pregnancy at 8 weeks.

Anyway...I was just wondering if anyone else is getting them? If so, I'm sorry...

Gwen
    Dec 2005
    Sept 2014
    March 2015 BFP!! It's twins!! EDD 11/27/15

2. Advertisement

50/50
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I was starting to get those too but they were little ones all over like in my inner thigh, legs, arms and stomach. Sorry to hear yours are so awful. I hope it is nothing related to your blood clot from years ago. I hear charlie horses are very common in pregnancy. I have been drinking extra milk as I hear calcium helps and it did for me. Good luck and I hope you feel better.

smileygirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Awh Gwen, I'm sorry you are suffering, hun!! Hopefully everything comes back normal. I've always heard that eating bananas (potassium) helps ease cramps.

Lindsay
    & ~ 02/03
    ~ 01/06
    ~ 12/08
    ~ 12/11

Mom2trips&2
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't get CH's exactly, but my calves get really uncomfortable and it just feels like I need to stretch them constantly...not painful, just sort of achy....(((HUGS)))

~Carmen
    Mommy to Courtney- 3 months old, Audrey- 2yo old, Hailey, Destiny, and Andrew (28wkers)-4yo also Step Mommy to Tommy Jr-9yo

"Let’s impeach the president for lying, And leading our country into war" - Neil Young

RiTay
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well...my MD had me go in for a venous ultrasound of my leg, and I'm guessing everything looked ok, because they sent me home just like they did last time nothing was wrong. I guess I just need to try to stay off my feet as much as I can.

Anyone have any advise on helping with the cramps?

Gwen
    Dec 2005
    Sept 2014

Amyk
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been getting them too and my doc said to increase my potassium intake - the only thing is I am so sick of bananas. I need to find something else that has a lot of potassium. I hope that everything is a-ok with the ultrasound.
    Amy
    Mommy to Sam (August 2002) and Lucy (December 2005)

Tashibelle
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi -
    I got them with dd the first time, and Ive had 1 this time so far. It can be potassium intake, calcium intake or it can just be the pressure in the deep pelvis when laying down. What helped me after adding K and Ca to my diet and it didn't stop them was to do calf stretches right before bed, that reduced it a bit. When they occur, the best way I found to help was to get up and try to slowly stretch out the muscle. They are terribly painful, I hope they get better for you.

Carrie
    Jenna 20 months
    Surprise baby edd 1/23/06

CdnMom
    has no status.
    it's yours to discover it's your.........
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Not currently pg but my dr's suggestion is/was potassium intake increase and calcium supplements... I had them so bad I use to cry in the middle of the night. One last 1 hour.
    Michelle -- Momma to my A-Team
    Ashleigh 9 years old In a blink of an eye, my girl is growing up way too fast! Grade 4 here she comes ♥
    Aidan 5 years old old with a passion for movies & Severe Reflux starting Senior Kindergarten in Sept 2010♥
    6 m/c's and finally
    Our family is complete

RiTay
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone...I had known about the K and Ca, and have been trying to add more to my diet and I also take tums for Ca supps. I hadn't known that the increase in pelvic pressure can cause them...oh man, these will only get worse, won't they?

Again, thank you

Gwen
    Dec 2005
    Sept 2014

nette79
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm so sorry about your leg cramps. I remember how intense they use to get during my triplet pregnancy. They were especially bad at night, I don't know if it had anything to do with me being completely flat. My packet from the ob's office for this pregnancy gives a few suggestions, although I don't know if they are any good. I thought I would share them just in case theres any truth to them. I know it hurts, hang in there honey. My calves feel like they are on fire all day, so perhaps this is the start to the same problem.

_ Exercise regularly to improve circulation-walking is especially good

_ Try the Pelvic Rock exercise-it improves circulation

_ Cramps may be caused by too much phosphorus or not enough calcium-check with your doctor about dietary adjustments

_ Avoid pointing your toes or stretching too hard

_ When standing for a lenghty period of time, try to occasionally move your legs by walking around or flexing them while standing in place

_ Elevate your legs and flex your toes while resting

_ To stop a cramp in progress, point your heel or stand on the affected foot

Like I said, I don't know how helpful they are. But I just thought I would share the list they gave me. Take care!!!! I hope they subside soon!!

Hugs,
    nette

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast