FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
C-section or v-back?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    nette79
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

C-section or v-back?

I was hoping those of you who've delivered c-section in the past might share your projected birth plans? During my appointment today they gave me a list of things to go over while considering if you should deliver vaginally or opt to schedule the section.

Since I always seem to fall in the small percentage in most cases of my life, my dh and I thought it would be best just to schedule the section just in case there are any probs with delivery. But after reading the list I'm wondering if I'm making the right choice. The ob's office says its entirely up to us.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    Danette
    Last edited by nette79; 08-10-2005 at 05:36 PM. Reason: mispelling

2. Advertisement

TriciaJ
    is blessed
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We too will be having a repeat c/s. We weighed the risks and decided that we would err on the side of caution.

XOXO
    Tricia
    Tricia
    Blessed with my soul mate on 9/21/1996

Then we were both blessed with:
    DD-Sydney 7/29/1997
    DS-Ryan b/d 6/25/2004
    DS-Joshua 6/25-26/2004
    DS-Nathan 1/19/2006
    ^i^ 6/99 (ectopic) & ^i^ 11/01 (m/c)

Fayettc
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am having my 3rd c-section but I have to, I do not dialate at all. My ds was almost 43 weeks when they realized this. My twins were scheduled as will this baby. I don't mind them at all, the 2nd one was a breeze compared to the first after being in labor for hours.

Faye
    First came Love, then came marriage DH '97
    then came years of ttc, then came:
    Ian 2/6/01
    Shannon/Allison 12/29/03
    Sean 1/10/06 - our natural miracle

Mom2trips&2
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to try to VBAC+2C ( VBAC after 2 sections.. )...I forgot to mention it with my first appt, but will at my next ( 16wks ). I think my doc may go for it, they seemed pretty open with my last pg. My first section was because I had preemie triplets coming and they just wanted them OUT...I was fully dialated when I went into the OR and baby A was head down. Last pg I was all set to VBAC, got to the hospital, active labor, 8cm dialated and my little Miss was butt down So, off for a section I went. Sooooo, I am hoping that it will work ou this time, but we'll see...I don't have alot of time this second, but if you do decide to try a VBAC, I got ALOT of good info to minimize the risks that I can pass on to you....really, it isn't any riskier than a section and is actually less risky for you, I believe....ANd honestly, it's all about individual preference and comfort level...you have to pick what is right for YOU....and then, as I showed, you are still at the mercy or whatever may come to be Good luck with your decision

~Carmen
    Mommy to Courtney- 3 months old, Audrey- 2yo old, Hailey, Destiny, and Andrew (28wkers)-4yo also Step Mommy to Tommy Jr-9yo

"Let’s impeach the president for lying, And leading our country into war" - Neil Young

robin
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've not given birth before, but I have a C sec-like scar because of a surgery. My dr will not do v-bacs at all, so I don't have the option. Dr did give me the option to go to a bigger city hospital 45 min away, but after reading the what ifs, we will not be considering it. To us, the risk is too high.
    Robin
    ~Robin~
    DD through adoption
    DS through IVF
    DS though FET
    3 angels in heaven

LisaKay
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am having a repeat c-section. Our OB said it was up to us. We discussed it for about 2 seconds. Lee was a big baby and I didn't dilate. I don't want to wait and see if I do with this one. After we made our decision Dr. said that a c-section is much safer for the child. He said when he asks most parents who they want it to be safer for they always pick the child. We would have to if he would have asked us that had we been undecided.
    Lisa

smileygirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm really wanting to attempt a VBAC this time around. My OB is with me, 100%, whichever way I decide- he's leaving it up to us. Of course conditions will have to be ideal for me to attempt a VBAC: baby head down, no induction, etc. I just personally want to have the option of experiencing a vaginal delivery and the satisfaction of pushing the baby out all on my own! I had no choice but to have a c-section with the twins (Baby A was breech). Since we live in a large area, the hospitals are equipped with the necessary staff *if* something were to go wrong. I know a lot of doctors won't even attempt them because of the risk. I guess I'm a lucky one! However, I won't be dissapointed if we end up with a c-section again. I had a smooth, easy recovery last time and wouldn't mind doing it again.

Carmen, I'm interested on the info you have regarding VBACs. Please post it when you have time!!
    Lindsay
    & ~ 02/03
    ~ 01/06
    ~ 12/08
    ~ 12/11

rchatter
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Chatty
    I felt cheated out of a vaginal birth the first time that I want to make a real attempt at it this time. My obgyn mentioned that most people that had c-sections the first time, usually have a vaginal birth the second time.

During my first pregnancy, I had taken Bradley classes. The instructor recommended "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" by Henci Goer. I was recently browsing through it and it gave some good pros and cons on VBACs and repeat cesarean.
    Rita

Sanjay (7)
    Alex (5)