FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
OB/GYN appointment yesterday

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Amyk
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

OB/GYN appointment yesterday

I had my first appointment with my ob/gyn yesterday. It went well, even though I had to take my very boisterous DS with me. Everything looks great for now - I'm measuring at 12cm which is right on track, and I've gained one pound since my first visit with the nurse-practitioner. Since DS arrived 5 1/2 weeks early I will start doing internal exams around week 30 and she'll probably have me go on light duty around that time as well. I asked if I could have developed late-term gestational diabetes because he was so big (6 lbs 10 oz.) for a preemie - I passed the glucose test at 28 weeks when last pregnant. So this time I'll get to take the glucose test twice - once at 24 weeks and once at 32 weeks. Lucky me! We also heard the heartbeat - it was 160 bpm. DS was running around telling everyone that mommy's baby goes boom, boom, boom.

The only bad part about my appointment is my ob/gyn is pregnant and will be going on maternity leave in early November and not back until February. So here's my dilemma - I can stay in her care until November and then switch to another doctor in her practice, or I can switch now. I like her so my immediate reaction is to stay with her for now and switch in November, but then I thought maybe it would be good to have the same doctor throughout. I know that there's no guarantee that the doctor I switch to will be the doctor there for delivery since they all rotate on labor-delivery duty. What would you guys do?!

Hope you all are doing well and thanks for reading -

Take care,

Amy

2. Advertisement

Gogibean
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Amy,

I'm so glad your appt went well. I know how hard it is to bring children to your Dr's. My OB whom I LOVED with DS didn't end up delivering him. Instead I got the most horrible mean OB with no bedside manner at all!! My OB with DD did deliver only because I was induced and the labor was super short. This time around, who knows what will happen. My feelings would to be to stay with your OB since you really like her. When it comes time to switch, is it to another Dr. in the same office? Do you have to switch pratices all together? If it is to simply another Dr. that could have ended up delivering your baby anyway than it's probably no big deal. I have been through alot of OB's and it is really important to be with one you feel comfortable with. By the way, when you had Sam, did they try and stop the labor and consider it PTL, or did they just let you deliver? Just curious if you had a history of PTL earlier in the pg or it just happened suddenly 5 1/2 weeks earlier.

Hope that helps.

Jodi

Magpie
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad everything checked out fine. With regard to your question, I'd also just stay with the OB you have now and then switch in November to another one.

That's cute about your DS being so excited about it. I have a 2 1/2 year old and we won't be telling him about my pg until I am about 7 mos along. I just think if I tell him now he will be constantly asking when's the baby coming and will just have a hard time with how long the process actually is.
    -Magpie
    Robbie 12/03/02
    Vincent 1/16/06

Between the world we see and the things we fear, there are doors. When they are opened, nightmares become reality. 'A Haunting,' New Dominion Pictures

Amyk
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies guys. I am pretty sure I will stay with my ob/gyn and just switch later. They have a good practice and I met several of the doctors during my last pregnancy and one of the other doctors was there for my labor/delivery.

Jodi regarding your question about my early delivery of Sam. My water broke very unexpectedly and I didn't actually start having contractions until about 6 or 7 hours later. Once they determined that my water had actually broke (since I walked into the hospital with a towel between my legs I thought it was pretty obvious!) and I wasn't losing control of my bladder they said that if I didn't go into labor than they would induce me - luckily I went into labor.
    Amy
    Mommy to Sam (August 2002) and Lucy (December 2005)

LisaKay
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great Appt. I think I would stick with the OB I liked for as long as possible. At least you'll get to stay with the same office. My OB is by himself. One reason I'm glad to be having a scheduled C-section. I know he'll be delivering.
    Lisa

PickleSpice
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like things went great. So cute that your son is so excited. Sounds like he'll be a great big bro. Our office has three doctors so while you have a regular doctor, you get whomever is on call if you go into labor. Luckily I'll have another scheduled c/s so I'll get my regular ob who's great.

tasha
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like a successful appt! I would also stick with your OB for now if you really like her.

tasha

BarbieJo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Sounds like a great appointment. I'm glad to hear all is well. How cute about how excited your son is! I take dd to all my appointments too, but she is too young to understand.

I hope you figure out the ob dilemma.
    BarbieJo
    FET Miracle A.M. born 1/04
    Natural Miracle J.O. born 1//06