FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Glucose Test

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    CAKI
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired

Glucose Test

Just got the results of my 3 hour glucose test and I failed! Really kind of bummed. They told me that they gave it to me so early because I have a 1st degree relative (brother) who has diabetes. Just curious if any of you have had to deal with GD in previous pregnancies.

Cathy

2. Advertisement

LisaKay
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't but Flagirl on the Dec board had it with her first pg and just failed her one hr test. I know she'd answer all your questions and be very helpful. Good Luck!
    Lisa

flagirl
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Cathy-

Lisa is right. I just took the one hour test and failed (I was 14 weeks when I took it). I take the 3 hour one next friday. I failed the one hour pretty good so I am sure I am headed down that road again. I had it with my first pg too. It really wasn't too bad. I was able to control with diet. You will see a diabetic diatician to help you figure out what you can and can't eat....... then you will need to take your blood sugar two hours after every meal and it the AM before you eat. The diet is basically low carb. I thought I would have to watch sugars but no - it is all about the carbs. Basically no sweets......and limit the portions of carbs. I think they like you to eat between 30-40g of carbs at a meal. Kindof hard when you look at what is in food. But I look at it that it at least forces me to eat better. Otherwise I am a carb addict and eat probably not the best choices. Also exercise is good to help it. I hope you can control yours with diet. They will have you keep a log of your blood sugars so they can see that it is under control with diet alone. Also my dr last time said she would induce me at 38 weeks cause GD babies tend to be bigger. Not sure what other drs do about that though. Just might have been her policy. By the way, when my dd was born she was 5lbs 15oz and I only gained 21lbs the whole pg! So much for the big baby thing. Though she was born at 36 weeks due to other complications.....so it wasn't like she was full-term.... Any more questions feel free to ask. Sorry you have to go through this.
    Tina

Two precious girls -
    Anna (4/25/03) and Natalie (12/10/05).

hope2004
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    I had to take a 3 hour GTT at 7 wks (and failed) because I had failed my 2 hr GTT I took prior to my IVF (I'm insulin resistant).

RE was very concerned and mentioned it to my peri prior to my first appt w/him. I had to do fingersticks 5 x a day for 2 weeks and all my values looked great. Peri told me that I will have to repeat the 3 hr GTT when I'm 22 wks. I hope you will have the same thing happen........... I know I was so scared when I failed the 3 hr GTT and started reading up on what CAN happen...but I did learn that it can be controlled easily either with diet or insulin!!!!!!!

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Petra

CAKI
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thanks ladies....your right when you start reading the info about it, it scares the spit out of you. It doesn't help that my hormones have me acting crazy and I am having to deal with all of this alone as my DH is in Iraq. Plus, I have two teenage stepsons that live with us and both have been giving me a hard time the last day or so. I finally had to sit them down this morning and explain that I am a high risk PG (even before the GD) and I could not have the stress.

I appreciate your kind words and information.

Cathy