FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Is anyone getting a First Trimester Screening done?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gogibean
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Is anyone getting a First Trimester Screening done?

SInce I've had my other 2 kids, the OB is now offering a new prenatal test called the First Trimester Screening. It is bacically the nuchal scan test done by u/s. It can tell up to 95% certainty if the baby has down syndrome or trisomy 18 I believe. It is completely safe and no risks so I decided to do it. Well, I called to make the appt with the u/s place and they are all booked. You have to do between 11-14 weeks I think. So now I guess I will not be doing it. Is this standard practice now or am I going to be the only one not able to have this done? I will still get the AFP and the 20 week u/s done anyway.

What kind of tests are you ladies doing?

Jodi

2. Advertisement

Amyk
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm doing the first trimester screening on July 6th. I'll be 12 weeks 2 days. My ob/gyn's office suggested it in lieu of an amnio. From the literature I was sent from the perinatologist who will do my tests it's the nuchal translucency test along with a blood test. It doesn't identify down syndrome or trisomy 18 but will identify increased risk and then you can decide whether or not to do further testing. I'm also doing genetic counseling at the same time appointment. I'm not sure if I'll get the AFP test or not - I didn't get it with my last pregnancy. I will have the 20 week u/s and I'm so looking forward to that.

Maybe you can have your ob/gyn's office get you an appointment for this test? My ob/gyn's office said that of their pg patients over 35 almost all of them opt for this test instead of an amnio.
    Amy
    Mommy to Sam (August 2002) and Lucy (December 2005)

robin
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What's AFP?
    ~Robin~
    DD through adoption
    DS through IVF
    DS though FET
    3 angels in heaven

Gogibean
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Amy- I would really like to get this test but the problem in they are all booked. There is not one opening for me to get in within the time frame it needs to be done. I was told to call everyday for a cancellation but it probably wouldn't happen. I am bummed about it.

Robin- I am not an expert here but the AFP is a blood test designed to let you know if your baby has a higher risk for nural tube defects mostly. I think it can also give you the odds of downs syndrome. The thing with the AFP is that there are sooooo many false positives that it tends to make people worry for nothing. It is not a good indication of the health of your baby. It only lets you know if they are more at risk so to speak. I know a ton of people who will not do this test because of how many of their friends recieved false positives. Anyone else who is mroe educated on this test, please feel free to add here.

Jodi

Gogibean
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Guess what ladies? It pays to be a pain in the you know what. I have called the 2 u/s places I can go to and they are both booked. I called for the third time to the first place and begged them again to fit me in or call me in case of cancellation and they finally put me on the schedule!!! The girl took pity on me being so frustrated I think. So, I will be having the ultrascreen as they call it next Wed. Anything that gets me another look at my baby is great!!!!

Jodi

smileygirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We didn't do any of the "tests" last time because we had twins (almost always a false positive result on the AFP). I'm not sure we'll be doing any of them this time around either. I'm relatively low on the risk factors so unless the dr absolutely thinks I should have them done (if worry is expressed), I probably won't!
    Lindsay
    & ~ 02/03
    ~ 01/06
    ~ 12/08
    ~ 12/11

oli
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Jodi,

I had mine done last Friday. Yes, this test is becoming more "popular" because of its accuracy and noninvasiveness. They measured the thickness of the swelling just under the skin at the back of the baby's neck. It should be less than 3mm and looked for a nasal bone. I guess it is a big thing, because Down kids do not have their nasal bone at this point.

They also took blood from my finger and it will be tested as well. I hope this info helps.
    Good luck!

Oli
    Oli

IVF #1 2005 Natalie
    IVF #2 2009 Heidi EDD May 2nd

Tashibelle
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been going back and forth on having the test, I think I may have it due to my age 34, will be 35 when the babe is born. I didn't do any of the screenings other than the US with dd but Im a couple years older now. We'll see and talk it over a bit more with my OB

Carrie 8w1d
    Jenna ~ 18 months

Fayettc
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have not heard of the test yet, guess ob will let me know. I did not have the APF done since I was told it can be false positives and I knew I would not do an amnio. I am 34 and will have the u/s at 16 to 20 weeks i know. Other than that not sure about the early test or not.

Faye
    edd 1-16-06
    First came Love, then came marriage DH '97
    then came years of ttc, then came:
    Ian 2/6/01
    Shannon/Allison 12/29/03
    Sean 1/10/06 - our natural miracle

smileygirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My OB really recommended that we get the AFP screening done, but I'm still not sure that we will opt to have it done.
    Lindsay
    & ~ 02/03
    ~ 01/06
    ~ 12/08
    ~ 12/11

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast