FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Anyone still on Glucophage (Metformin) ?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    baacbs
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Anyone still on Glucophage (Metformin) ?

My RE wants me on it through the first trimester to help w/miscarriage prevention (I'm also on Heparin 2 x day and baby asa and progesterone) - anyway, you are supposed to limit carb intake w/Glucophage or it makes you really sick. I'm having trouble trying to eat better with being pregnant and also I'm starving quite often, but having terrible GI problems if I eat too many carbs. I guess I am better w/salads and low carb chicken/turkey wraps and need to exercise some more self control?! Just wondered if there were any fellow PCO's people out there still on it and how you were getting by!

2. Advertisement

Daisy28
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Still on Glucophage

I am on everything it seems you are on this time. I have PCOS as well. I have suffered 2 miscarriages so this time my RE put me on Heparin shots as well. Is it making you bruised? It is for me. I take 3 glucophage pills a day, 1 baby aspirin, 1 prenatal, 2 heparin shots, progesterone supplements and thats it.
    When are you due? My 1st u/sound is next mon. I am so nervous that everything is ok. I will be 7wks. I wish I could go to the dr. everyday for them to tell me everything is still ok. What symptoms are you having?

Does anyone out there know, when does your belly start feeling kind of hard?

EDD 1/2/06

RiTay
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am also PCOS, and I am on glucophage 500mg 2x/days, lovenox (a blood thinner like heparin), prenatals, and progesterone supps. I was told I would be on the gluco for about the first trimester, the progeserone til about 10-12 weeks, and the lovenox until three months after I deliver (because I have a history of blood clots).

I do not limit my carbs (maybe I should be) and I am also not getting sick from the gluco anymore...I did for the first two months I was on it. I just eat how I always have...I hope that's ok (actually I've been more hungry lately so I've eaten a little more than usual).

Gwen
    Dec 2005
    Sept 2014
    March 2015 BFP!! It's twins!! EDD 11/27/15

baacbs
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am very very bruised from the Heparin. Sometimes I can't even find a spot to stick it in, it's like I get resistance. Each time I had my beta I had the nurse do it and she assured me I was doing fine, it wasn't my technique, it's just part of it. I look like I've been in a terrible accident or something!

Glad you aren't sick on the Glucophage. It's no fun. Sometimes I'm okay, others I'm not. Maybe it was that big box of sugared donuts I stopped at shell and bought to eat on the way to the dr. the other day?! What was I thinking!? I was just starving and it sounded good I guess.

My stomach felt hard last week, but maybe it's just fat!?

TNgurl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey all.. I too have PCOS. I am still on Met as well. Is there a reason why I would need to take the blood thinner? I have no history with clotting but is this a condition of PCOS?
    What symptoms are ya'll experiencing? I am 5w5d and Im tired, chest is sore and run to the potty often! Not sure about the hard tummy yet tho... Anyone experiencing morning sickness? I have none yet..... AND I was pretty lucky on the Met. 1500 mgs and only sick for two weeks.

baacbs
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, the blood thinner is for miscarriages. It wasn't for PCOS. Glad you haven't been sick on Met. I'm pretty tired almost all the time, hungry, pee a lot too, especially notice that at night when I'm asleep! I always have to wake up to pee. I think I'm five weeks too. Based on conception date (IUI) I'm due 1/12 I think.

Daisy28
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Baacbs is exactly right. I have PCOS and have had 2 miscarriages so the RE put me on heparin this time that I got PG basically to try something new to see if it would help. I had read that PCOS patients can sometimes get blood clots that can result in miscarriage so since everything else has failed with me, RE thought lets try this. Basically trial and error.