FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
DIUI vs. IUI

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mstern
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

DIUI vs. IUI

Hello All:

I have done 4 DIUI and no success, despite all tests on me normal.

Does anyone think that frozen IUI (i.e. "D" IUI) is MUCH less effective than non frozen IUI?

Sometimes I feel like those sperm banks are glad to have you buy those vials for many months, (increase profit) before it works.
    Maybe I am paranoid.

And -- I can't help thinking that chems such as"cryoprotectant" and liquid Nitrogen (to freeze it all) would make these swimmers as viable as fresh guys.

Does anyone know anything about this, or, if there is merit to my fears? thanks

2. Advertisement

kelly18
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I definitely can relate as we are doing DIUI and having no luck either. Like you, all tests on me are normal. And also like you I feel as though the unthawed sperm is much less effective although I do not know any research on it. Our RE advises us to only do 1 IUI 36 hours after the trigger but this month, we are going to try 2 (despite the cost) since the unthawed sperm lives so much shorter than fresh.

I doubt any of this helps but I wanted to just say that I can relate!

Hope2005
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also had a double IUI with frozen sperm and it was negative. I only had one good follicle (18mm) though. How many did you girls have?

mindybr
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I to feel the same as you guys, I have done 3 iui with ds and all have been negative. I know that frozen only lasts up to 24 hrs while fresh live longer. I have thought of using two ds for an iui but doc says only one if fine. But yeah I wonder at 180 a vial or more it really adds up after a few months. Anyway, good luck with you all...mindy

kelly18
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    In my last cycle, I actually had 3 good follies, so I was extremely frustrated with the BFN. And each vial costs 350 for us, which is outrageous in my opinion! But I really think we will just do two IUIs this cycle even though it supposedly doesn't make much difference. I've really appreciated everyone's replies; thank you!!

mmi
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    We used fairfax and even with pcos, I got pregnant easily(although m/c twice). I would definitely look into fairfax as they have a higher percentage of guaranteed thaw than most banks. I did use clomid, a midcycle ultrasound, the hcg shot and one diui 35 hours later. You have to remember too that even healthy couples can take up to 6 months to conceive... and that is with plenty of healthy sperm, normal ovulation, ect.... hang in there, the result will be worth it.
    3 years and 15 medicated cycles(clomid, injections, iui's, ivf's, fet, you name it) and 2 angels before finally getting princess 1 (1999)

2 injection cycles for princess 2(2002)
    Truly miracles!

"Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

FrankieJ
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys. I'm really glad that this subject was posted b/c i have been really frustrated lately with our diui's. We have done three so far (last month was a double) and no success. My progesterone was 36 last month so i know i ovulated and i had 4 follicles of size. To think that frozen sperm only lives for about 12 hours in the body makes the timing very important. I keep thinking maybe we just aren't timing this exactly right. its the only explanation i can think of. we get our specimans through california. we have used two different donors and it hasn't seemed to matter(both have pregnancies on their record). my re keeps saying that there is only a 10% chance of success each month with diui and that normal couples take about 6 months or so for it to work, but i am just getting frustrated and becoming BROKE.

kelly18
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    A 10% chance only with ds?!? I did not realize that it was such alow number! I was told it was more like 20%.

This is really frustrating!

FrankieJ
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    yes it is definitely frustrating. i think that number should be a little higher. i mean think about it, if you produce more than one egg (say 3-4 like the re wants) doesn't that increase your chances right there? thats more than most women would produce unmedicated each month. oh well. who knows. does anyone know why the next step after clomid is injectables if you are already producing enough follicles ( i had 4 last cycle at 20).? my re said that could be my next step if this doesn't work in the next couple of months. just doesn't make sense. i don't want to produce 10 follicles in once cycle!!!!!!!!

kelly18
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point, FrankieJ, about the chances potentially being higher with more follies. That makes perfect sense and I really hope that it is true.

I also am wondering why your RE said that you should go onto injectibles since you seem to be producing healthy follies via Clomid. I was told the only reason for any of the drugs was for there to be more targets for the sperm. If you are responding well, I have to believe that it is only a matter of time for you!!

But it is realyl hard to be patient, isn't it? Kelly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast