FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Help...Extreme Cramping During/After IUI

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Nan75
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Help...Extreme Cramping During/After IUI

Has anyone expereinced this/heard of it? I don't mean to scare anyone with this post - the nurse said this was VERY rare.

I went in for my first IUI today. As soon as she started injecting the catheter into my uterus, I started to have extreme cramping that lasted about 25 minutes. It subsided about 1 hour after the procedure and I've been fine since.
    The nurse said that it is typical to have cramping, but usually not this badly. It was the uterus contracting....It was 100% worse than AF cramps.

I had my HSG last week, which everyone said can be so painful, but I was totally fine. A little uncomfortable, but totally fine.

My questions are: has anyone else had major cramping during/after the IUI? If you have, was it like this everytime?

Do you think the semen could have fallen out b/c of my severe cramps?

I'm supposed to go in tomorrow for my second IUI and i'm terrified. The nurse said I should consider timed intercourse instead since my reaction was so extreme, but I don't want to do that b/c of the clomid/mucous factor.

What do you guys think??

2. Advertisement

Genevieve2003
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have heard that if the sperm isn't washed good enough that severe cramping can result. It could also be that you are just very sensitive to the insertion of the catheter. In any event, I hope you feel better soon. I guess if tomorrow's IUI goes better than you can chalk it up to a bad experience.
    Genevieve
    TTC#1
    IUI/clomid (50mg)-10-04-04

Nan75
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Genevieve - do you think I should try it again tomorrow?

Do cramps affect the sperm from coming out of the uterus?

Thanks.

bam0609
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nan, I had pretty bad cramping as well during my IUI. It felt like very bad menstrual cramps. It wasn't quite as bad as my hsg, but it did hurt me a good deal. It ended, however, with the completion of the procedure. I was a little tender after, and if I have to go through it again, I will definitely take off from work. I didn't this time. I don't think cramping can cause the semen to come out, but I'm not sure.
    Amy Me-34 DH- 30
    Recurrent Miscarriages 3 misc, 4 chem
    3/05 benched high fsh
    Surprise - rest cycle pg EDD 12/12/05
    It's a boy! William Paul 12/21/05 9 lbs
    It's a girl! Lyla Grace 4/2/08 11lbs 2 oz

mommywannabe
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    On my first IUI, which was last month. My cervix's contracted and he told me to let him no when the pain subsided and he would continue. I have to tell you it hurt through the whole thing. I don't handle pain well, but that pain made me want to get up and run and not come back. My husband said my grip increased 100%. But here I am again this month doing the same thing. Just try to relax and focus on something in the room to get your mind off of it. My husband was reading me an article out of a magazine to help me take my mind off of it. I hardly dought that the sperm falls out. Once it is in it is not coming back out. Don't worry you will do fine. I am having my IUI Saturday, so that means I trigger tonight!!!

Sending lots of :stickyvib :stickyvib

Genevieve2003
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    I would do another IUI today but tell the nurse/doctor about the pain you experienced yesterday. Maybe they can inject the sperm slower this time. I hope you have a better time today.
    Genevieve
    TTC#1
    IUI/clomid (50mg)-10-04-04

Nan75
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all, thanks so much for the good advice.

I just came back from my second IUI. B/c the cramping was so severe the first time, the doctor prescribed me valium to take so that the muscles wouldn't contract. I took the valium before hand and everything was totally fine today. It did take them a long time to get the catheter through the cervix (and 3 nurses had to try!), probably b/c it was a little sensitive from yesterday. But no horrible cramping like yesterday. I'm so relieved and can no enjoy the wonderful (ha!) 2 WW! To be honest, I don't mind it so much...its nice not ot have the doc appts to think about.

Oh - I stocked up on pineapple. Have no idea if it really helps or not, but I love it and it gave me a good excuse to buy it!

Mommywannabe - good luck on your IUI Saturday! Let's keep each other posted.I hope its easier this time...they toldme that it is always different from time to time, so it could be breeze this time.

Thanks, Bam & Genevieve. Appreciate your thoughts.

best wishes to everyone!!

Nan

LSB
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    During my IUI (36.5 hours post hcg), I had what felt like strong AF cramps. It was uncomfortable, but pretty comprable to a transfer with an IVF on a VERY full bladder. Then at 40.5 hours post-hcg, I ovulated and had EXTREME cramping. I was lying in a fetal position and crying it hurt so bad. It worked, though, and I have a dd from it. GOOD LUCK!
    Lee; dh deceased 08/14/04
    4 IVF/ICSI; 5 FETs; 1 IUI
    Alyssa 05/06/01; Jessica 08/18/04; (both from donor sperm-- different donors)
    5 (all from dh's sperm) , including S and J, conjoined twins given back to God 02/14/03

mindybr
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nan75, Last month and this month I had horrible cramps. They did increase my clomid to 100mg. Anyway last month it was so bad I was glad it was on the weekend. It was simular to irritable bowel syndrome which isn't short for what I would think contractions would be like. I have had them for years. So that is all that I thought it was on that monday I called the nurse because I felt full in adomen she said it sounded like irritable bowel syndrome but I have never had it last for days usually only hours. This month I was scared to do IUI but did it anyway. This time I had cramping like the last month the day before and the day of. The IUI hurt but more normal hurt. The cramps went away but the AF cramps started and my nipples got sore and it is that way still 6 days after IUI. I hope that might have helped oH by the way my HSG was horrible afterward I had those horrible cramps. I don't t hink that you lost any sperm once it is there it stays there. Try to ask if they could use a smaller cathater. See if taking aspirin before the IUI would help. This is what I did this last month it helped a lot. Mindy

hopefulstill
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Could be the wash

I had HCG yesterday and IUI today. I didn't have cramps during the procedure, but the physician assistant doing the procedure did say that I may have some. She told me that the wash used on the sperm sometimes can be an irritant for some women's uterus.

However, I did have cramps earlier today before the procedure and now later on. I think its the ovulation. But its not too bad. Nothing so far I can't handle.