FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
What do you think of the stress connection?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Nan75
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

What do you think of the stress connection?

If one more person tells me to "just relax" in order to get pregnant, I think I'm going to really go crazy. But in the back of my mind, i still can't get rid of the stress/infertility doubts I have. I sometimes wonder if I quit my job, would I get pregnant? My RX right now is unexplained. Does unexplained = stressed? My job isn't very stressful, but I have a hard time sleeping when I know I have to get up in the morning. So, I'm thinking if I quit, I will sleep better and be less stressed. But then I have no idea what I would do with myself during the day! Maybe its stupid....but what do you guys think about the stress/infertility connection? I would love to hear from/of someone who get pregnant and was under stress/not sleeping well, etc. There are too many annoying anecdotal stories repeated to me about how people got pregnant "just when they had given up" or "as they were adopting", to make me feel like I'm not doing everything I can to get pregnant.

Thanks for your thoughts....

2. Advertisement

dutchgirl
    is :)
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cheerful

pg ment.

Hi

Looks like you have something in common with kris7. She just posted about her plan to quit her job to make her less stressed while ttc. I have friends who have stopped ttc and found themselves pg! I am also unexplained and was charting my bbt in order to determine my ovulation pattern. Well, that totally stressed me out. If my temp didn't do what I thought it "should" on any given day I would obsess over it. I decided not to temp any more and was planning to move to IUI. Well, lo and behold as I was waiting for AF so I could start an IUI cycle I learned that I am pg! So I think there is definitely a connection (of course now I am in beta hell and don't have good doubling so I have something new to obsess over).

Anyway, I wish you all the best. Stress reduction can never hurt!
    Lisa

p.s. ok I just re-read your post and yes, I have gotten pg while totally stressed! So it can happen either way!

Kathy326
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really don't believe in the stress connection, and neither do most medical professionals. Think about women in war-torn, or thrid world countries?? They get pg all the time, and they are under far more severe stressors than most of us gals.

Kathy
    me 29 dh 33
    dx: mod. male factor (varicocele)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid 10/13/04: BFP!
    19w1d--taking it one day at a time
    EDD 7/6/05

ItzMe
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no comment on the stress thing. I think it is really hard to determine exactly the affects of stress.

I am totally with you on the "just relax" and other stories. I'm going to gag if I hear one more person say "it'll happen". I wish people could understand just because "it happened" for them doesn't mean "it just happens" for everyone.

I, too, am unexplained. To me, it just means they haven't done enough tests to identify the problem. That's just my opinion! Unexplained totally sucks.

DrAussieMom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I was thinking the same thing Lisa!!

Well, let me first say that I went half time two weeks ago, and that solidified it for me, I am ready to be rid of that stress just generally, and IF is helping me along. My job was not really stressful (some days better than others), but it was really a funciton of not being able to sleep, due to multi-tasking the next day, then dragging in the morning because of it (sounds like you too!)

I have read several studies that have linked stress to IF. But I think the fallacy is that the de-stress alone makes it happen, I think it is a coupling of many things. Interestingly, it can't always be that simple. i.e. If you do not ovulate on your own. But my Dr. told me today that can change too, when the body is not under as much stress.

I do have to admit though, I work two jobs and go to school full time, so I am only stopping one of them, so stress won't be totally gone, but better than now.

I do hate it when people say "when you stop trying you will get pregnant"..... no actually we won't, as we need to be triggered, I tell them. Then they realize it is not black and white, but much more in depth (and as I start going on they realize they should have never said that, which stopps them from asking again )

JennF
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the barge in your thread but my 2 cents for what it is worth.

*****WARNING: PREGNANCY AND CHILD MENTIONED********

I was attempting IUI and had a diagnosis of unexplained. I thought quitting my job to be "less stressed" would help - it did not. All I did all day was obsess about not being pregnant and wanting to be. I took on a less stressful job of working part time in a gift shop. It was mindless work but kept me busy and I had a blast working with the other ladies there. I then picked up the book by Dr Domar Conquering infertility. I read it and had a few light bulb moments. #1 stress does not make you "infertile" but it can have an effect on the treatment of infertility. If you are so stressed about the U/S and how many follies you have, what your lining is etc.....it may effect the outcome. Light bulb moment #2: you will be a mother someday if you truely want it to happen. It may be through adoption or treatment or on its own - you can make it happen. After I read that line in the book, it seemed like all of my stress melted away. I knew in my heart that someday I would have a child. I stopped obsessing about it. We took a break from ttc. I was waiting for AF and it was late. I did a test and I was pregnant. It seemed unreal to me and I wondered if it was a coincidence that I had stopped stressing so much. I honestly don't care how or why it happened and don't know if stress played a part. All I care is that I just put my 2 month old down to sleep and she is the world to me.

I hope this post does not offend anyone. I want to spread hope to others that it can happen.

Take care of yourselves,
    Jennifer

P.S.: Bottem line on job quitting for me is: if you have a stressful job, it may be best to leave it but do something else with your time (IE) a fun job that you enjoy doing.

DrAussieMom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Oh, one other study I read shows that there is a correlation between 3rd world countries and infertility being much less. I don't think stress is the factor, but the study connects the "industrialzed" nations, such as the US have higher inferitliy trends, due to the factors we find in our country and not found in third world countries. For example, chlorine in water, pesticides in foods we eat, food in general in this country, lifestyles (alcohol, etc.) There is not clear connection to what the cuase, but the trend is definately higher in "first world" countries.

Nan75
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just hate the whole stress/infertility thing b/c it makes me feel like its my fault for not getting pregnant, you know? Like if I can't control my stress well enough, than I can't get pregnant. Its so frustrating, b/c I feel like i am trying so hard to manage stress with yoga, exercise and other strategies, but the thought that stress may still be the problem causes me even more stress! its a vicious cycle. I just don't understand how we are supposed to be calm and relaxed during this all-consuming process.

I guess I'm going to give it about six months to see how things play out before I do anything like quitting my job.

Nan

kris7'spal
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, according to what everyone is telling you, and all of us, we all just need to start adopting and we'll all get pg! I've heard a ton of stories too and although it's great for them, I'm tired of hearing it too.

After my last failed cycle my RE said it was so perfect he really couldn't figure out why it didn't work. Not going to go into details since I can't give away my identity, but let's just say the stars were all aligned, etc. So his priority for this cycle is less stress. He strongly believes there is a connection.

However, easier said than done. I can't quit my job, and wouldn't you know I got extremely busy just as this cycle was starting up. In one way, less stress because for me that means an income, but in another way more stress because I have a very stressful job. So I'm doing everything in my power to take it easy and step back from the job. But I too sleep restlessly when I'm busy at work and have to get up early. How funny, I thought I was the only one. ;-)

Anyway, having rambled on, I'm saying I think there is some connection, but in reality what can we do about it really? I also don't think it's the only thing and without stress we'd all be parents. I just think lowering it can help. Maybe try yoga or meditation. I'm doing accupuncture and it seems to be helping.

I hope you find your answer. You can only do what you feel comfortable doing.

Take care.
    Your Secret Valentine Pal