FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Lap ?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    ItzMe
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Lap ?

I'm leaning towards talking to the RE about doing a lap. I've had two failed IUI w/ Clomid 50 mg cycles. We have unexplained IF. I'm losing hope every minute that another IUI will have a positive outcome. When in the cycle do they do a LAP? Do you take a rest cycle when you do the lap? How long should I plan to be off work after a LAP? Anything else I should know about lap?

2. Advertisement

BrookeTrout
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey

I had a Lap ( just about 1 1/2 ago). Usually a Lap is requested when Endo or Cyts or other problems within the cycle cannot be figured out - it sort of cleans you out! Since it is same day surgery - its not that quick. I needed about 4 days - I had a hard time getting rid of the gas that they use to fill your belly with.

I needed to wait one cycle after the lap ... but it is up to your RE ... I did not request a Lap - it was at my RE's suggestion.

Good luck

Brooke -

ItzMe
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much Brooke! Is this procedure done on specific cycle days?

BrookeTrout
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't remember when I had it done - i think it was later in my cycle ... I looked in my medical records - I had mine done Jan 2003.

Hope this helps

Brooke

Audrey's mom
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi there,

I had a lap in Feb. 2003 and it was also at my re's suggestion. Actually, he wouldn't treat me for IF without one. I was kinda in shock about the whole thing, but I instinctively trusted his judgment and I'm glad I did. I had scar tissue around my tubes and a polyp in my uterus. All was removed. It took 4 days for me to recover. I didn't suffer from leftover gas in my tummy, I only suffered some minor vomitting after I got home due to the after effects of the surgery. I don't remember when in my cycle I had it done. But I think it was a few days into my period because they want to make sure you are not pg going into surgery. I was able to cycle the very next month. I would definitely have a conversation with your re about lap before any more cycles, just my opinion.

good luck with your decision.
    love,
    Cheryl

ItzMe
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the insight. I did ask the nurse about it today and she said they usually only do that if the patient does respond well to Clomid. According the the doctor, I've responded as well as they would want or expect. I think the nurse is full of crap!!! She said if the IUI doesn't work this time (3rd try) then she would schedule a consultation with the RE. I will see the RE in mid Feb and will ask him about it then. Again, thanks for the info! I just feel there has to be a reason this isn't working and we just need to figure out what it is and pronto!

heidi3
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    i had a lap in nov. on a thursday and went back to work on mond. I was still a bit sore but fine by wed. got my period about 2 wks after then tried naturally next cycle and am now on my second cylce of iui w/injectibles. I really freaked myself out before the lap but it really wasn't that bad (i thought it was much easier than the hsg, plus, they knock you out!). it also helps to clean you out, a friend of mine had a lap, they removed endo and four months later she got pg!
    my RE gave me the option of a lap or iui, but they showed me some statistics and iui is more successful in cases of treated endometriosis (i had mild endo, which is a cause of unexplained IF)
    good luck

JennF
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the Barge........

Itzme,

I too had a diagnosis( if you can call it that) of unexplained. I know what it is like and how frustrating it is. PM me if you would like to chat about it and I can tell you my experience.

Take Care,

Jennifer