FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Can I ask a kind of personel ??

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    janslem
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I ask a kind of personel ??

Sorry if this is too personel but I am just curious. After my IUI my RE tells me to have bms that night! Well dh and figured that the more bms we have the better. Is that okay? I mean does doing it to much hurt anything? And does your RE's tell you to do the same thing?

Janslem
    dx PCOS in 1995, hypothyriod in 1999
    6 injection cycles with 2 IUI!
    1 5/03, 1 chemical 10/01,
    1 blighted ovum 12/03

Braelyn Claire born 4/25/07

Carson Paul born 7/15/09

2. Advertisement

kim davis
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Janslem-

I've been wondering the same thing. I just started AF after my first IUI, so on to #2. This last cycle, Dr. told me to BMS the next day and day after that. While in IUI, nurse said to BMS that night. I waited, did what Dr. said, but I'm still unsure too. Also wondering about the timing of the IUI. I did it 36 hrs. after HCG, but got a positive OPK after 6 hrs. from the shot. I'm wondering if I ovulated and waited too long till the IUI. Any thoughts? Where are you at in this cycle?

Kim

janslem
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kim sorry I am not sure but it seems like once you do the hcg the OPK would show a positve. I am not sure though. Most IUI's are one 24 to 36 hours after the trigger. I am sorry I was not of much help, all this stuff seems to confuse me.

Janslem
    dx PCOS in 1995, hypothyriod in 1999
    6 injection cycles with 2 IUI!
    1 5/03, 1 chemical 10/01,
    1 blighted ovum 12/03

Braelyn Claire born 4/25/07

Carson Paul born 7/15/09

DrAussieMom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have read some debate about this question. On one hand (like my Dr.) says to BMS right after for about a day. They says it helps the chances.

On the other hand, I read several articles that say that this may cause infection, since there can be an area that is disturbed / scarred during the IUI process, and if you BMS, you have a chance to irritate it, causing an infection. The only thing introduced up to that point is sterile sperm, which can not cuase (in most cases) an infection. If you have BMS the good old fashion way, the man will excrete more than just sperm, but bacteria that can cuase infection.

I am siding with my Dr on this one, and will have BMS, but I am having such bad cramping this month, I don't know if we can. Hopefully it subsiddes soon.

Sorry I can't give you a concrete answer, but there is debate out in the medical world on this.

kim davis
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kris

I had my first IUI in jan. I just wanted to let you know, I too had a lot of cramping for about a day after. They had to use a clamp or something to hold back by cervix and this is what caused more pain Dr. said. Anyways- pain stopped by next day and we were able to BMS. Hope your 2ww goes fast. Keep us posted.

Kim

jcc
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always have my IUIs around 9 AM. RE tells me to have BMS that night and the following night. I don't think too much hurts anything....just want to allow dh time to replenish. Good luck!

DH Lawrence
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on husband's profile

janslem -

Our RE also says to try naturally about 12 hours after the IUI. We then try again 12 hours after that.

From my understanding, it certainly won't hurt anything to try as many times as possible during the entire feasible window that an egg might realistically be available. However, you might not be optimizing your chances for success if your husband needs some "down time" to provide a meaningful amount of healthy sperm. Unfortunately, all guys differ on this depending on age and any underlying fertility issues.

Keeping in mind that sperm can survive in the woman anywhere from about 6 - 24 hours (if not longer), my opinion is that the best strategy strikes a balance between consistently having healthy sperm waiting for the egg and giving the guy time to replenish as much as possible.

Good luck

DrAussieMom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I read that washed sperm only lasts 4-8 hours, and regular sperm can last up to 5 days. I think this is why it is important to BMS.

BrookeTrout
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have read and I think my RE said ... it depends on the couple and the issue ... I was told that washed sperm can live within 12-24 hours depending on the amount of the speciman.

I have always been told to have sex after the IUI and not before ... my RE wants the count to be as high as it can ... since the sperm are being placed near the egg and they do not have to travel as far.

Brooke

mindybr
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    just my two cents, I have research that stats washed sperm lasts 12-24 hours while fresh sperm can last up to 5 days in the female tract. My doc says to wait to the next day because she has to hold my cervix that can cause some cramping and spotting.I have also heard not to have sex before ICI because if your dh has hostile sperm it could kill the good sperm...just what I heard. But I think bms is fine as long as you feel up to it....besides its fun...mindy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast