FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
update:hpts,hcg & a question

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    heidi3
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

update:hpts,hcg & a question

after my first iui on injectibles--bfn, was sheduled for a beta monday moring, took hpts that got progressively fainter from 9-13 dpo. This morning took an hpt (to be prepared before my beta tomorrow--although i was fairly certain that af was on her way) as soon as i took it, af was there! what a waste of an hpt! anyway, the test showed a very very faint line--obviously not a true bfp, but i still have a bit of hcg left in my system (a shot of 10,000 15 days ago and 5000 9 days ago)
    however, if the hpt had gotten darker, it would have been accurate.

anyway, i'm pretty depressed and have been crying all morning. called some friends and family members that know about our IF and they were supportive.

also had a strong cup of coffee which i have not had in a month.

i have a question: do most REs do one or two inseminations? mine was timed 36hrs past the hcg shot, but i'm thinking i ovulated a day early--i usually get af 14 days after o. should i ask my RE to try 2 inseminations on the 2 days following hcg trigger?

Thanks, any input would be greatly appreciated!
    heidi

2. Advertisement

kelly18
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    oh heidi, i am so incredibly sorry to hear that af came and was early at that. it does sound as though the timing for the iui off was a bit off. what were the size of your follies when you triggered? maybe you were told to trigger too late. i wish i could help. as for doing 2 iuis, i have heard many mixed opinions as it supposedly does not increase the chance too much and can be expensive. are you covered by insurance at all? if so, you may just want to try it.

i wish i could be of more help; i just wanted you to know that i am thinking of you. kelly

DrAussieMom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am so sorry to heara about the BFN..... I ave the same question as you. My Re does the 36 hour after trigger, and I wonder if that is enough. Let me know if you decide (or ask) for two.

kielfamily3
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I did my IUI my RE monitored me with u/s and then did the trigger so there was no doubt that I was ready to o and the size and # of follies. So he only does one IUI, not two.
    Hope this helps!
    Nicole

BrookeTrout
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My RE says that you should have the IUI between 24-36 - depending on the size of the eggs, the lining and each person can be different. My RE will only do one IUI at a time ... So it was never an option for me...

Hope that helps

Brooke

heidi3
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    thank you all so much for your replies, as bad as IF sucks, it helps to know that others can relate. it seems as though most of my friends just think of sperm and get pg, lol!!

i was monitored every 2 days and had two mature follicles (not sure of the size, 20mm maybe?)

i will ask the nurse tomorrow about a second iui, or perhaps i ovulated 24 hours instead of the 36--i keep wondering what happened? what went wrong? if there are sperm, and and egg at the right time, what's going on? i had a lap in Nov that showed very minimal endo and a cyst and was removed--i have "unexplained" IF. At least if i KNEW what the problem was . . . i'm sorry i'm just rambling.

oh well, i'm trying to be optimistic for next cycle. i'll keep you posted on what the dr. says about iui #2. I don't know about the beta tomorrow because dear af is here in full force!

Again, thanks so much for the replies and i'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of you!!! good luck!!

heidi3
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    one more thing, the nurse told us to wait to "try" until the day after iui because of the possibility of infection, is this common practice? was thinking maybe we should have done it anyway . . . just wondering.

thanks again!!

jannie
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    heidi

Our practice tells us to go home and BD to increase the odds.

DrAussieMom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    They tell us to "have sex like crazy when you get home, and all day long"..... I haven't heard of waiting before. If you wait a day, you will have Oed, so it is not useful, I think..... that is wierd.

BrookeTrout
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't lose faith ... my Best Friend was given the "unexplained" ... and after three IUI's and some Follistim ... she is due in about 8 weeks. Her struggle to get PG was over 4 years long ... she like you had a lap to remove some endo. On the clomid she didn't get the best results ... but it was the Follistim AQ that did the trick. What was weird is I was going through IF as well. We started trying at around the same time (about 6 months difference). What was even weider was ... we were best friends before this started.

This month I used the Follistim AQ - and it is her pen! We are hoping for good luck to kick in.

All I know is ... never give up. She is living proof that it can and will happen.

Brooke