FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
TTC after methotrexate for RA

aramire1
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

TTC after methotrexate for RA

Hi all,

I haven’t been on here in awhile...our last FET with our final 2 embryos was last spring.
    In November i was diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis and started on methotrexate. My Rheumatologist said that sometimes when an auto immune issue is treated things can happen, such as pregnancy. So right now I’m on birth control...which is so very strange since we have been trying to get pregnant for the last 10 years and now we are preventing it. Anyways....i had a follow up appt last week and the doctor mentioned that if we wanted to try to get pregnant again at some point i would just need to stop taking the MTX for 3 months and then see what happens. He recommends staying on it for awhile longer to get a good handle on my RA first. I am technically in remission right now and feeling great! So my question is...has anyone been on methotrexate and then stopped taking it to try to conceive??? I don’t think we would do any sort of fertility treatment...at least not at first...i just want to try naturally and see what happens. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Me-31, mild hypothyroidism, otherwise normal; DH-31, Normal
    TTC since January 2010
    Natural TTC-1 Miscarriage, 1 ectopic
    6 IUI cycles - clomid, Gonal-F and trigger-1 BFP that ended in m/c, all other BFN
    IVF #1- March 2015 BFN, 6 frosties
    FET #1- June 2015

2. Advertisement

SC-Kelley M.
    has no status.
    Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi aramire1! I'm not a medical professional nor do I have any medical training with which to advise you, but anecdotally, I wanted to mention that when a friend of mine with RA went strictly gluten free, she saw a big reduction in her RA flares. It might be something to look into to help keep your RA at bay, or at least manageable, when you stop your medication and are pregnant. Obviously, you should talk about it with your doctor(s) first, but I wanted to let you know in case it might help!
    Likes aramire1 liked this post

aramire1
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much for the reply! I have been really lucky and haven’t had any flares or pain since starting my methotrexate. But it’s definitely something to think about!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Me-31, mild hypothyroidism, otherwise normal; DH-31, Normal
    TTC since January 2010
    Natural TTC-1 Miscarriage, 1 ectopic
    6 IUI cycles - clomid, Gonal-F and trigger-1 BFP that ended in m/c, all other BFN
    IVF #1- March 2015 BFN, 6 frosties
    FET #1- June 2015
    Likes SC-Kelley M. liked this post