FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
What maths should my almost 5 year old be able to do?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    MaggieM
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What maths should my almost 5 year old be able to do?

Hi. I hope someone here can give me some input.

My dd will turn 5 in October. I enrolled Micaela in Kumon maths at the beginning of the year. At this stage she can count count to about 50, write the numbers up to 30, and read the dots flash cards up to 20, without help.

The problem - Kumon seems to be taking over our lives. And now the centre wants me to drill her daily with 20 flash cards within 30 seconds, counting to 30 within 20 seconds, etc, in addition to the normal daily book exercises. I've asked to teacher repeatedly if Micaela is doing okay and the response has always that she's doing fine, no problems. Now I see that on the class graph, she is not even at the expected level for a kid her age. She's completed level 7 and is now at the end of level 6 in Kumon.

My question - what should a normal 5 year old be able to do? I thought she was doing brilliantly, but it doesn't seem to measure up to Kumon standards. I don't want to pressure her and become a drill sergeant, but I don't want her to lag behind. She's a bright kid, with great vocab and social skills. Her last preschool report was excellent with mostly 4's and 3's on a 1-4 scale.

Please shed some light. I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks.
    MaggieM
    TTC 6.5 years, 4 IUI's all neg, IVF # 1 Aug '02 neg, IVF # 2 Nov '02 neg, IVF # 3 Feb '03 POS+++++
    Micaela bd 2003-10-22
    Diagnosed with CML October 2009
    Stem cell transplant on 2010-12-01

2. Advertisement

AmandaG
    loves essential oils.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fine
    I'm not really sure what "Kumon" is, that's something new to me, so I can't say anything specifically about that.

The "centre" you are talking about sounds very regimented in its teaching methods. (Is the centre a school? Preschool? What is it?) It sounds very much like they are shoving math down the kids' throats, whether they are ready for it or not, and then comparing them against one another. I HATE the term "grade level", because there are so many variables as to what is 'normal', depending on the child. Who's to say that it may not be her best subject now, but later on when she's ready for it, she'll have no problems???? So why label her now as being 'behind'?

I'll have to "drill" my DD tomorrow when we're doing school again here, and tell you what she can or can't do. While I can't say at the moment how 'high' she can count to or recognize her 1-2-3's, she can do simple addition and subtraction problems. I know for sure that she recognizes 1-20 (we reviewed that today), and my plan for tomorrow is to look at 1-100. Today she was counting things in her book that were 8's and 9's, then had to write the #'s. Everything she knows in math has been done very gently, nothing forced or required. One of her favorite games is called Sum Swamp!
    Amanda,
    blessed homeschooling mom to three beautiful princesses and and one handsome little prince!
    8/95 6/99 4/03 11/09

m/c 02/08

cro
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaG
    The "centre" you are talking about sounds very regimented in its teaching methods. (Is the centre a school? Preschool? What is it?) It sounds very much like they are shoving math down the kids' throats, whether they are ready for it or not, and then comparing them against one another. I HATE the term "grade level", because there are so many variables as to what is 'normal', depending on the child. Who's to say that it may not be her best subject now, but later on when she's ready for it, she'll have no problems???? So why label her now as being 'behind'?
    That's pretty much what I was thinking.

My 5yo has a lot of trouble w/ math - and by that, I mean basic counting. He can count to 20 w/help; 13 or 14 on his own. And he lacks the coordination to point to objects as he's counting them. But that's why we homeschool - so he can work at his own pace w/o any pressure to measure up to other kids.
    babywearing, breastfeeding, homeschooling mama to:
    M ~ born in Russia August 31, 2002 ~ home August 5, 2004
    J ~ natural miracle ~ born March 20, 2005
    E ~ another natural miracle ~ born December 8, 2008

asnmdirteha
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieM View Post
    Hi. I hope someone here can give me some input.

My dd will turn 5 in October. I enrolled Micaela in Kumon maths at the beginning of the year. At this stage she can count count to about 50, write the numbers up to 30, and read the dots flash cards up to 20, without help.

The problem - Kumon seems to be taking over our lives. And now the centre wants me to drill her daily with 20 flash cards within 30 seconds, counting to 30 within 20 seconds, etc, in addition to the normal daily book exercises. I've asked to teacher repeatedly if Micaela is doing okay and the response has always that she's doing fine, no problems. Now I see that on the class graph, she is not even at the expected level for a kid her age. She's completed level 7 and is now at the end of level 6 in Kumon.

My question - what should a normal 5 year old be able to do? I thought she was doing brilliantly, but it doesn't seem to measure up to Kumon standards. I don't want to pressure her and become a drill sergeant, but I don't want her to lag behind. She's a bright kid, with great vocab and social skills. Her last preschool report was excellent with mostly 4's and 3's on a 1-4 scale.

Please shed some light. I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks.
    MaggieM
    Kumon is drill practices, basically continuous memorization of the same math facts over and over. A normal 5 year old should be able to count to 30 and do simple one digit addition and subtraction. However, knowing more math skills does not hurt the child but going overboard when the child is not ready may be harmful. We use different worksheets and so far Beestar has been pretty helpful. Great worksheets and questions and the kids are interested.