FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Kind of obsessed with homesteading.....

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    dr j
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Kind of obsessed with homesteading.....

at least partially.

Honestly I do not have the time to do it seriously but I really would like to eventually have most of our fruits and veggies come from our own farm. It's to easy and cheap to buy meat etc from neighbors or even pay them to raise one for us rather than change my horse pastures to cattle/goats/sheep.

I am working on a master garden plan- from the typical veggie garden to more fruit trees, more grapes and all types of berries. I cannot start in earnest until the old house is gone but will start some layout this summer.

Tell me about your dream garden.......
    Dr j
    4 IVFs and 6 FETs -6 pregnancies, lots of drama.
    AS, AJ and AA Born/Died 3/2000
    MJ born 5/10/01
    HT born 4/14/04 surviving twin.

God is great, beer is good and People are crazy.

2. Advertisement

katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    I want a big garden with lots of tomatoes, onions, peppers, and that sort of thing for canning. I want spinach. I want cantaloupes and watermelons and butternut squash vining all over one end of it. I want rhubarb lining one side.

I want chickens clucking in a yard near it so I can throw the zucchini I *just now* discovered that is *this* big right over the fence for them to eat.

I want to get scratched as I reach in among the raspberries for warm fruit that I'll make into jam we'll enjoy all winter.

I want an orchard with fruits and nuts in it (just like my family) for fresh eating, canning, and dessert-making.

I want a steer named Beefsteak out in the north 40. I don't want to get to know him though.

I want it all.
    dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

dr j
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sounds Perfect Katie....

Just perfect...... I spent a hour on Amazon last night putting books into my wish list about gardening/self suffiency/homesteading etc.

Today I started some seeds indoors. It rained all day or I would have put more manure on the garden to get it ready to be tilled in the next week or so.

So much to do.
    Dr j
    4 IVFs and 6 FETs -6 pregnancies, lots of drama.
    AS, AJ and AA Born/Died 3/2000
    MJ born 5/10/01
    HT born 4/14/04 surviving twin.

God is great, beer is good and People are crazy.

3boys2luv
    is melting!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    Me, me, me! I'd love to be completely off the grid eventually. Lots of work between now and then for us. This year I'm concentrating on getting the garden started and canning/freezing as much fresh as I can. We have chicks that will be the start of our fresh eggs (in about 6-7 more months! lol) and we are working on updating the house with new energy efficient windows, etc. One step at a time, I know, but man would I love to be there already!
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by chickens.

katrack
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    I thought of something else I'd like--a large stand of poplars for firewood. There is a plan you can do where you harvest 1/4 of the stand each year for firewood and replant. It's a perpetual supply of firewood. Of course, I want dh to do the cutting and splitting.

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

GirlMom
    is cold!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    This sounds heavenly! I don't think I can pull it off though in my tract neighborhood! A girl can dream though!

Karen
    Karen (41)
    DH Mike (43)
    DD Olivia (17)
    DD Emma (10)

Don't tell God how big your storm is, tell your storm how big your God is...

katrack
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    I keep thinking about this thread.

I also want to make soap.

DiIP
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I want all Katie's stuff and a root cellar for storage too. I want chickens again. I want a pond big enough for fishing and hanging out around to roast marshmallows.

On a more practical side, during the past week, dh and I have put together the master plan including raspberries (planted already), blueberries (planted), asparagus (10 planted but I need to order more), peach trees (just starting to come up), and apple trees (we have two old ones, but I'm starting some seeds for another that will be mature in 10 years). I have 7 peach trees that have sprouted. They are from several differnt neighbors' trees, so we should be happy with at least one. We have two old plum trees...no plan to replant any yet. DH has started brewing again, so our beer supply will be assured - LOL. I'd also love to start gathering our rainwater again for a water supply, but I'm thinking that might not be possible until we build from scratch again.

I'd love a nice, small greenhouse too, but we haven't put that into the plans. Baby steps, baby steps.

Diana
    Last edited by DiIP; 04-06-2009 at 04:39 AM.
    Warrior Princess D, Astro Slayer
    L born Oct 2001
    C & R born Oct 2003

Don't you go looking for fair. Don't you expect a painless life. Don't go hunting for an easy road. Just you settle for wisdom.. T. Davis Bunn

Alexismith
    surrounded by boxes again
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused
    OOH me me me!!!
    i've only got three acres in the drought stricken south but we're trying to buy nearly ten in missouri where i hope for a more hospitable climate.. got the rather wilted garden and the chickens plus far too many horses and goats.... would love sheep for meat and wool for my loom and needles, a heifer for milk and that wonderful beefcalf each year. pigs for bacon.... i'd love room and time for an orchard and haying....
    yep i want it all and i am utterly obsessed with my little farm (plus i don't have to pay for organic eggs anymore... just need to work out how to use all the eggs.... turns out six hens can really keep things...eggy.)

katrack
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    Alexismith, if you were just starting out with chickens, how many would you want for a family of five?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast