FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Composters....

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    BC-MAV
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator for Surrogacy BB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Composters....

DH has agreed that we can get a composter. We have a TON of leaves in our backyard as we have an oak tree as well as neighbor's cypress tree, cherry laurel tree, and pecan tree. The composter would be great for the leaves alone. I guess we could learn about what type of food garbage to add to it.

Have a question... do composter containers smell? DH wanted to put it in a corner of the yard by the kids play set and I thought it would look kind of bad there, plus the kids might climb on top of it. Then I suggested by the pool since the leaves are collected out of the 3 pool filters and it would be convenient. But, would you want a composter container hidden away in the garden bed around a pool? Would it um.... smell? Or does the smell depend on what you are composting? It would be a lot of leaves and maybe some garbage.
    MAV Mom to

B (17)
    A (12)

(4/99) (4/05)

2. Advertisement

katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    I've heard they might smell, depending on what you put in them. Most of them look okay though.
    dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

3boys2luv
    is melting!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    I don't know if you should put leaves out of a chemically treated pool in a composter....

I have a compost PILE Literally - DH made me a semicircle of wire/tin and I put leaves and kitchen scraps (peelings from vegetables, banana peels, apple cores, etc.) in it. I've only had it about a month now but so far it doesn't smell. It's out in the sun so the heat can help the decomposition and so far, so good. No where near ready for me to use yet, but it's a start.

Mav, I'd imagine that if you turn it regularly and keep it mixed up it wouldn't be bad, but if it stayed in one spot you could probably get some rotten smells out of there. You just avoid things like meat, diary, plastic - paper, leaves, veggie peels, fruit scraps and cores are all OK.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by chickens.

BC-MAV
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well if it matters the pool is salt water so there aren't a bunch of chemicals in the water! So the leaves have some salt water on them. I don't know if we would do garbage in the composter so maybe just leaves. WE could move the composter because the one we are looking at is portable and brown so it wouldn't show amonst the natural fence and dirt and bushes.
    MAV Mom to

B (17)
    A (12)

(4/99) (4/05)

dr j
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have had a compost pile for years. It's pretty far from the house so smells are not an issue. Actually hope to build an official compost area this spring.

I just bought myself a stainless compost pail from Plow and Hearth. I have wanted one for years, dropped many hints ( what an easy gift!) finally just bought one for myself. Yes I like compost. LOL

Here's a pic of something like I hope to build this year- so I will have an official bin!
    Dr j
    4 IVFs and 6 FETs -6 pregnancies, lots of drama.
    AS, AJ and AA Born/Died 3/2000
    MJ born 5/10/01
    HT born 4/14/04 surviving twin.

God is great, beer is good and People are crazy.

BC-MAV
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Oh, gosh that looks huge! I know you have a lot of land so that's probably a good size for you! DH wanted to build his own but everything made of wood gets termites here... shed, sandbox, Rainbow play set, you name it... so I really want plastic compost bin. We do have a big back yard but I think we'll start small with the brown plastic compost bin. Looking for the darn catalogue and hope it wasn't thrown out!
    MAV Mom to

B (17)
    A (12)

(4/99) (4/05)

dr j
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mav - look at Plow and Hearth- they have a website... google them. Or Burpee.
    Dr j
    4 IVFs and 6 FETs -6 pregnancies, lots of drama.
    AS, AJ and AA Born/Died 3/2000
    MJ born 5/10/01
    HT born 4/14/04 surviving twin.

God is great, beer is good and People are crazy.