FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Ok I am ready to start a garden again.. help & suggestions!!!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    BC-MAV
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator for Surrogacy BB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ok I am ready to start a garden again.. help & suggestions!!!

1st year with the veggie garden in this house was a banner year with spinach, lettuce, radishes, carrots, and strawberris...

2nd year was awful. I think the neighbors trees were giving so much shade there was not enough sun for anything. WE only got a few measly ears of corn with about 6 kernals of corn on each cob-LOL!

We did get some nice herbs in another small front patch both years and I dried the herbs this year and saved two containers, put the dried herbs in, and made fancy lablels for presents . I gave one to my cousin who loves to cook and she was THRILLED.

So it's the South.... October... getting cool but not even jacket weather. I have the same area for the veggie garden. It's the only area that's not being used. We will try to trim some of the neighbor's overhanging branches but I think I need to move it over some.. but not under the zip line-LOL!

What would you do? ... it's just ground right now... not level... we have bags off good dirt... so we thought level the ground and make a border out of bricks or whatever we have. So what should I plant with our mild weather? And also knowing this area veggie patch gets a little shade?
    MAV Mom to

B (17)
    A (12)

(4/99) (4/05)

2. Advertisement

katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    You'd be in good shape with the kinds of vegetables we in cold climates think of as "spring" crops such as:

carrots
    radishes
    beets
    broccoli
    cauliflower
    spinach
    and maybe peas as well.

From looking around the 'net it looks like most of those vegetables like partial to full sun so they might work in the area you have. I think building up the sides of the bed with bricks or something else to level it is a good idea. It would be a lot of work the first year, but little work after that.
    dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

BC-MAV
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The gardener guy (he does a little of everything.... drainage, brick work, etc...) said that the area does NOT get much sun and asked if we even wanted to fill the hole with such expensive good dirt. I said just go ahead because it needs filling. The bed is shaded by our neighbors cypress tree, cherry laurel trees, and also OUR oak tree. I think it gets am sun but not pm? I guess I could just try and see what grows. It's gotten cold here so do I need to do starters inside?
    MAV Mom to

B (17)
    A (12)

(4/99) (4/05)

katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    MAV, look at the seed packages. Some things like carrots don't transplant well and you'd want to start them in the ground outside. Others like cabbage you can start inside and that would give them a running start. I planted my cool season veggies next to a western concrete wall (meaning the wall was just to the west of the plants and therefore blocked the afternoon sun). They got some residual heat from the concrete wall, but no pm sun and they did fine.

You might also try some onion sets (baby onions). I didn't have the best luck with them this year, but I'm going to try again next year. Hope springs eternal.
    dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

BC-MAV
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the advice! The bed is just a pile of fresh soil with fertilizer for vegetable gardens. I didn't have the gardener guy box it off, but I would be easy to just put some little plastic border things or some bricks around it. It only gets a few hours of sun in the am and the sunniest spot is closest to the zip cord but not in the way. We would have to have the trees trimmed a bit to get more sun. I am in a bit of a funk right now ... sudden stress, anxiety, crying, etc... so I don't know if I have the inititative to get it organized.
    MAV Mom to

B (17)
    A (12)

(4/99) (4/05)