FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Hiding my face to say this . . .

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy

Hiding my face to say this . . .

Is anyone else sort of looking forward to the first freeze? I know, I know I shouldn't have said that. It is supposed to freeze here tonight, but just to 32 so it will probably take off a few leaves, but leave most of the tomatoes and zucchini intact. I have at least a hundred fifty tomatoes on my bushes that will never, never ripen. I may do 3b2l's idea of taking them off and wrapping them in paper and piling them in a box. I guess after working on this garden since late January, I'm tired of it.
    dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

2. Advertisement

3boys2luv
    is melting!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired

Hey, do you have room in your garage to pull up the tomato plants intact and hang them upside down? That will ripen them faster than the box/paper will. That's what I did that year - I hung them and got what I could and canned them and then what was left when I needed the space they were taking up, I pulled off the vines and put in boxes and you know the rest.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by chickens.

Blondie8
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, in particular, I'm done with looking at my dahlias and want to start pulling them down to get the tubers out and see the huge gaps in the beds they leave behind. I picked a beautiful bouquet today but was irked by the number of earwigs I had to pull out of them---when you're sick of the bugs in them, you're done!
    “Children don’t belong to us. They are litle strangers who arrive in our lives and give us the pleasure and duty of caring for them–but we don’t own them. We help them become who they are.” Gloria Steinem

carold
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not until I've dried tomatoes enough to last us all winter. All I've got is salsa and spaghetti sauce!

katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    Quote Originally Posted by carold

Not until I've dried tomatoes enough to last us all winter. All I've got is salsa and spaghetti sauce!
    LOL--all I really got this year was salsa. And good salsa it is, I might add. I really wanted a bunch of canned tomatoes but I can see the handwriting on the (garden) wall. The tomatoes just aren't ripening fast at all with our cool night temperatures. At full tilt I was barely getting 5-6 lbs a week off TWELVE plants. Since I'm a realist I know I'm not going to get enough to do more than perhaps one little batch of tomatoes.

ITK wants me to hang the plants in the garage, 3b2l. I think I'll give it a try as I do have exposed rafters there and could easily do it.

Carol, what do you do with dried tomatoes?
    dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

carold
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We cut up dried tomatoes in soups and stir fries, and add to red sauces for pizza sauce. Any recipe that calls for sun dried tomatoes in oil, we just cut up the dried ones and add.