FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
First batch of salsa

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    lrmc
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

First batch of salsa

I used a recipe that my Dad had. It's pretty simple (only 5 ingredients).

I raided my neighbor's tomato plants (with permission) and made 5 jars of salsa. I'm not sure what it taste like yet as I need to let it cool down some before trying it.

I'm going to cook some pork tomorrow with the one jar taht wasn't full enough to seal (did boil it thou).

Katrack I'll try your recipe soon.

2. Advertisement

katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    I was eyeing my tomatoes this afternoon to see if I have enough to do anything with. Not yet. We are still enjoying them fresh at about the same rate they are ripening.

A funny--Wednesday I picked off about 5 New Mexico-type chilis and had Sophia take them in the house. I realized when I was watering today that I haven't seen them since . . . . So much for my gorgeous chilis! I've no idea where they are.

L, how about posting YOUR recipe?
    dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

lrmc
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    5 pounds ripe tomatoes (about 8 cups)
    3 cups chopped onion
    1 cup seeded and chopped chili peppers
    1 cup cider vinegar (labeled 5% acidity)
    3 1/2 teaspoons salt

Dip tomatoes in boiling water for 30 -60 sec and than cold water and peel off skins

core and chop tomatoes

In a 6-8 quart saucepan, combine all ingredients. bring to a boil, stirring often.

Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until desired thickness.

Immedialtly fill hot pint jars with salsa leaving 1/2 inch head space

Carefully run a nonmetallic utensil down insdie of jars and remove trapped air bubbles

Wipe jar tops and thread clean
    Place hot lid on jars and screw bands on firmlyProcess for 15 minutes in boiling water canner

Yeids appr. 6 pints.

katrack
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    Did you seed your tomatoes? Your recipe looks easier than mine, although similar. I think I'll try yours when I get enough tomatoes. So far only the Early Girls have ripened (duh . . . that's why they're called Early Girl) and they are a smaller tomato than the Better Boys that are still green. Thanks for the recipe.

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

lrmc
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BC-katrack
    Did you seed your tomatoes? Your recipe looks easier than mine, although similar. I think I'll try yours when I get enough tomatoes. So far only the Early Girls have ripened (duh . . . that's why they're called Early Girl) and they are a smaller tomato than the Better Boys that are still green. Thanks for the recipe.
    No I didn't seed them.

I used some of the salsa for a pork roast. The roast was a little dry but I think all pork roast are a little dry. It had a good flavor thou.

katrack
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    I made your recipe last night and it was wonderful!! I let it cook down for about an hour, so my yield was less than the recipe states. I had about 4.5 pints, or just a little over 9 cups. It's so good that I'll make a double batch on the next go 'round. My first Better Boys are just getting ripe, so once they really come on, it should be easy to get enough tomatoes for a big batch. The peppers are coming on again, so maybe in couple of weeks I can make it again. Some of the Early Girl tomatoes were hardly bigger than cherry tomatoes, so I did a LOT of processing to get that 8 cups! LOL, but I know the salsa is organic and used very little natural resources to get to me.

lrmc
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BC-katrack
    I made your recipe last night and it was wonderful!! I let it cook down for about an hour, so my yield was less than the recipe states. I had about 4.5 pints, or just a little over 9 cups. It's so good that I'll make a double batch on the next go 'round. My first Better Boys are just getting ripe, so once they really come on, it should be easy to get enough tomatoes for a big batch. The peppers are coming on again, so maybe in couple of weeks I can make it again. Some of the Early Girl tomatoes were hardly bigger than cherry tomatoes, so I did a LOT of processing to get that 8 cups! LOL, but I know the salsa is organic and used very little natural resources to get to me.
    Glad you liked it.

carold
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I made a triple batch today. This recipe is fabulous! I canned 19 12 oz. jars. Since I only used part of the tomatoes on one plant, I'm thinking next weekend is more salsa, spagetti sauce, and dried tomatoes.

katrack
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    Quote Originally Posted by carold
    Since I only used part of the tomatoes on one plant, I'm thinking next weekend is more salsa, spagetti sauce, and dried tomatoes.
    Stop.it.

Picking everything off all 12 tomato plants eight days after the last picking yielded me 6 lbs. Enough for one slightly-large regular batch of salsa. And our nights are now in the upper 40s so I don't know how many more will ripen very well. High altitude gardening is tough. Must move coastal . . . .

carold
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You probably don't want to hear that all 3 tomato plants grew to more than 5 feet, and actually broke the cages as they started to fall over. They are tied up and propped up as best as we can. For some reason, tomatoes love the PNW. Next year, we are only planting 2 plants, at the most.

Anyone have an awesome homemade spagetti sauce recipe?