FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Ezekiel bread anyone?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    carold
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ezekiel bread anyone?

I know this might fit better on the cooking board, but since everyone here seems to be a do-it-yourselfer, I thought someone would know. Anyone here have any experience making Ezekiel bread? I found a recipe that uses several different kinds of beans(ground), lentils, wheat berries, etc. I would like to try it, but wonder if the texture is somewhat "leaden", and if it would work in a breadmaker.

TIA

2. Advertisement

katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    Post the recipe and I'll let you know.
    dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

carold
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I would have read further--this is a batter bread--still wonder about heaviness

Ezekiel Bread ISubmitted by: Karin Christian
    Rated: 4 out of 5 by 8 members Prep Time: 20 Minutes
    Cook Time: 50 Minutes Ready In: 2 Hours 15 Minutes
    Yields: 24 servings
    "This is the bread that Ezekiel lived off of while he was in the desert for two years. It is supposed to be nutritionally complete. The recipe calls for grinding your own flour from a variety of grains and dried beans."
    INGREDIENTS:
    2 1/2 cups wheat berries
    1 1/2 cups spelt flour
    1/2 cup barley
    1/2 cup millet
    1/4 cup dry green lentils
    2 tablespoons dry great Northern beans
    2 tablespoons dry kidney beans
    2 tablespoons dried pinto beans
    4 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
    1 cup honey
    1/2 cup olive oil
    2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
    2 tablespoons salt
    DIRECTIONS:
    1.Measure the water, honey, olive oil, and yeast into a large bowl. Let sit for 3 to 5 minutes.2.Stir all of the grains and beans together until well mixed. Grind in a flour mill. Add fresh milled flour and salt to the yeast mixture; stir until well mixed, about 10 minutes. The dough will be like that of a batter bread. Pour dough into two greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pans.3.Let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until dough has reached the top of the pan.4.Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 to 50 minutes, or until loaves are golden brown.ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2008 Allrecipes.com</SPAN>Printed from Allrecipes.com 6/13/2008

katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    Oh my. I have no idea how I'd get spelt or millet. I can get the rest and easily grind them in my mill. I'll have to think about this one and maybe take a look at the tiny organic food store in my town.
    dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie