FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
canning question

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    lrmc
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

canning question

Today I picked up some jars at a yard sale. In the box was a unused box of metal tops. I have not idea how old they might be but the price on the box was .23 cents.
    Should I just get some completely new lids or do you think these might still be ok?

There was also a box of lid rings too and they look fine. No rust or anything on them.

2. Advertisement

katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    If they are Ball lids, the year will be written on the lid. Like 08 for this year. The canning companies say you should buy new lids each year but . . . hogwash. I won't even tell you the oldest lids I have successfully used. Take a lid out, see about the year if it is Ball, and press your fingernail into the sealing compound (the part around the edge that is either red or gray depending on the brand). If it is soft, it should be fine.
    dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

lrmc
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nope they are Kerr lids.
    The compounds seems to be soft on the two boxes I've gotten. It didn't look like either box had been opened either.

3boys2luv
    is melting!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    I've used really old lids, too. I stocked up once years ago when a store was moving to a new location and had them on clearance. I've been using that same stash for, oh, probably 8 years or so now. They seal just fine.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by chickens.

katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    Quote Originally Posted by lrmc
    Nope they are Kerr lids.
    The compounds seems to be soft on the two boxes I've gotten. It didn't look like either box had been opened either.
    Then I'd use them. Look--what's the worst that could happen? They don't seal out of the canner. If that happens, put on some new lids and run them through the canner again. If they seal out of the canner, 99.9% chance they are going to stay sealed until you consume the food. Literally, out of a couple thousand jars I've processed, I think I've had one that was unsealed when I went to get it out of the box. Luckily it was pickles, so nothing was "growing" and I just tossed the contents.
    dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie