FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Home canning

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    lrmc
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Home canning

Talk to me about home canning.

I just picked up my first 40 jars and I'm thinking about home canning foods.

2. Advertisement

3 ladybugs
    has no status.
    IVF, Child loss, Cancer & IF
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Doh
    I have only canned jams but I loved it! Highly recomend it. However you need to have the proper tools.

I would suggest something like this: http://www.freshpreserving.com/produ...php?page_id=20

I think it would have been a nightmare for me if I didn't have the proper supplies. I have even made jam with frozen berries (wanted to pick raspberries but they were poor quality here in the farms).

Good luck!
    Jennifer

3boys2luv
    is melting!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    I used to can with a hot water bath (like that link) but bought a large pressure cooker several years ago to speed up the process. Last year I canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, three types of salsa and pears with cinnamon.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by chickens.

Kristip
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would love to see some canning recipes. I had tons of tomatoes last year and hoping to can this year with them. Was given tons of free canning jars, just need the lids and pressure cooker and I am set.

Thanks ladies
    Loving Mommy to M and A
    Born September 4th, 2006
    3 1/2 and 2 crazy kiddos. Yikes!

sharianni32
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am interested in this also. I'm doing tomatoes, strawberries, blueberries, figs and pomegranates this year.
    Sharon
    our little "June Bug" born 6-22-06

katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    I agree having a canning set like the one in 3 ladybugs's link makes it a lot easier. You can use any pot that allows you to cover the jars by an inch of water, you don't need a lifter or a canning funnel, but it just makes it a lot easier if you have the proper equipment. Don't let not having the accessories stop you though--just start looking for them in the stores WHILE you start canning!

I planted a lot of tomotoes this year, hoping for a good harvest and enough to can like 3b2l did last year. I made strawberry jam a couple of weeks ago from grocery store berries because they were nice berries and the prices on them have been decent this year.

You'll save the most money if you live in an area where there are orchards and U-Pick farms. If you have to buy grocery store produce, it probably won't be cheaper than just buying items off the canned goods shelf. However, some things, like canned fruit are better home-canned because you can them when they are ripe, not green like I think a lot of the commercial processors do it.

I've been canning for about 25 years and ATM don't have ready access to reasonably-priced produce. I envy those in good areas for that.
    dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie