FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Who composts- help needed

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Kristip
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Who composts- help needed

So we are officially building our compost bin in the back yard. Just a pin system no barrel or anything.

What do you all put in yours? I know that you are not supposed to put any meat or meat derivitives( butter or eggs etc) but veggies and fruit are ok. What else besides grass clippings etc?????
    Loving Mommy to M and A
    Born September 4th, 2006
    3 1/2 and 2 crazy kiddos. Yikes!

2. Advertisement

3boys2luv
    is melting!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    Besides what you said, you can also put egg shells, shredded paper, tea or tea bag contents, ashes from fireplace, bread crusts and coffee grounds. Any fruits or veggies I cut into smaller pieces so they'll break down faster. Same with limbs.

ETA: Lots of people say you can add things like butter and other table scraps as long as you add them along with things like leaves or paper at the same time. I haven't done it, but just thought I'd throw it in as an FYI.
    Last edited by 3boys2luv; 04-20-2008 at 09:40 AM.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by chickens.

carold
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do garden weeds, grass, egg shells, veggie peels, coffee grounds, plants from the garden at the end of the year, moderate amount of leaves--best to run those through the lawn mower first. After composting all winter, the only thing that didn't break down completely were egg shells. Be careful to not throw lots of "big" seeds--pumpking, squash, etc., or any of those can come up where ever you add the compost. I also don't put tomatoes in the compost, as their seeds also seem to survive the composting process and end up sprouting where ever the compost is put too.

katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    I buried mine directly in the garden and the only thing that didn't compost over the winter was egg shells. I didn't crush them up though, so I'm going to try that this year and see what the result is next year. If you live in a dry area you should also be "watering" your compost pile to keep it moist. That helps the bacteria break things down.
    dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

Cassie R.
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carold
    I also don't put tomatoes in the compost, as their seeds also seem to survive the composting process and end up sprouting where ever the compost is put too.
    This is good advice -- I actually had a tomato plant growing in my compost pile last year!!! (And it looked so healthy and strong I barely had the heart to chop it out ) Ditto for any really hardy weeds - I put most garden weeds in mine, but not bind weed which is a terrible problem here, or any weed that is already seeding.
    Cassie
    -- 7; -- 4

'99