FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Here is my (very) humble garden

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy

Here is my (very) humble garden

I took these pictures Sunday afternoon. Please remember I live in a very dry area and started 3 years ago with nothing but hardpan clay and dry weeds in this space.

Part of my row of tomatoes with their Wall 'o' Waters protecting them from our overnight freezing temperatures.

My workhorse Rototiller. Yes, I can and do use it.

My sweet little rhubarb plant. I can't wait to start harvesting it.
    dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

2. Advertisement

3boys2luv
    is melting!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    I see your Dr. Pepper barrel, too! Hope you get a great harvest this year!
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by chickens.

Caligal
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Very nice garden! Nice and big!! I am so jealous! Yum-mee! Rhubarb!!

katrack
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    I was pretty excited to see beets, onions, and radishes poking their heads up today. It was 19 days after planting the seeds and I'd just about given up hope of seeing any result. That is the row on the left side by the concrete block fence in the top picture.

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

Caligal
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Way to go! Doesn't it feel so good to see and watch your garden grow!

carold
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man! You have a rear tine rotortiller! I am so envious!!!! How do you water since you live in such a dry area? Is that a blue rainwater barrel?

katrack
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    Quote Originally Posted by carold
    Oh man! You have a rear tine rotortiller! I am so envious!!!! How do you water since you live in such a dry area? Is that a blue rainwater barrel?
    Yeah, lucky me. I inherited it from my uncle when he died. He had two and the other one was his favorite, so this one was minimally used. It's not as big as the one I remember my father using when I was a teen, but this one is nice to use until you have to turn around at the end of the row. Then it's a real bear. Or else I haven't figured out how to really use it yet.

That is a homemade rain barrel. I use it as much as I can to water my garden, i.e. until it is empty, then I hook the hose up to the city water system until we have rain or snow and it refills. The downspout goes right into it and I'm amazed every time we get a little rain at how full it gets. It collects from about 1/5-1/4 of the roof. We get only about 11" a year here, so unfortunately it doesn't provide all the water I need. I have another downspout at the front corner of the house (the far right in the long shot above) that I could use, but I'm balking at putting a big blue barrel in front of my house, but also at paying the $169 I saw being asked for a professional barrel at the nursery. I'll have to look for an alternative this year as I really could use another barrel.