FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Do you have a specific standard spot for planting your veggies and herbs?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    BC-MAV
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator for Surrogacy BB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Do you have a specific standard spot for planting your veggies and herbs?

I was just wondering. We did our 1st veggie patch last year and got lots of lettuce, spinach, radishes, strawberries, and some carrots with some of them from seed and some from seedlings. The next year we planted from seed exclusively and we had some tiny ears of corn but nothing else sprouted despite watering and with veggie food thrown in the soil.

I am questioning whether the patch in our yard has the right amount of light. It seems the neighbors trees (despite our cutting to the property line) give a bit of shade and then the fence gives shade too. There isn't much else of a spot to do gardening. I mean I don't want a garden in the middle of the yard-LOL! So how much sun does a veggie garden need? Is am sun or pm sun more important? Or does the amount of sun just dicate what you can grow?

I'd like to start back gardening. Right now the bed is empty, raked over, and a few little weeks but looks like a nice patch of dirt!!
    MAV Mom to

B (17)
    A (12)

(4/99) (4/05)

2. Advertisement

sharianni32
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad you posted this because I've been flower gardening for years and am just this year starting some tomatoes, strawberries, blueberries and figs. I'm very curious about this too, but I have the opposite problem. My backyard gets direct afternoon sun and it gets really hot here in the summer. I'm afraid everything will burn up. I also don't have much room to garden either.

So long story short....I can't wait to hear how others respond.
    Sharon
    our little "June Bug" born 6-22-06

katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    Tomatoes, peppers, and squash all do really well in full sun. Here is an article that explains which plants need sun and which can do with a lot less: http://www.your-vegetable-gardening-...egetables.html

I have my garden on the west side of my house. There is a six-foot concrete block fence about 16 feet from the house, so that blocks some of the sun, but OTOH, the fence stays warm and continues warming the plants near it into the night.
    dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

sharianni32
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the link!
    Sharon
    our little "June Bug" born 6-22-06

BC-MAV
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator for Surrogacy BB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    thanks! I am gonna start tomorrow MORNING to track how much direct sun it gets to see what I can plant.
    MAV Mom to

B (17)
    A (12)

(4/99) (4/05)

katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    I thought of something else regarding having your garden in the same place every year. You are supposed to move the various kinds of plants around each year. I guess there is some kind of disease tomatoes and peppers can leave in/get from the soil, so you are not supposed to plant tomatoes in the same place two years in a row.
    dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

Loopy Lou
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    yup! rotation is a must!

i have a great diagram somewhere... i'll find it and scan it in!
    Lou , Married my soulmate 19 Aug 00

DD & DS - Megan & Gregor (6 Feb 6)