FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
suggestions for a vigorous climbing plant

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    CathyNY
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

suggestions for a vigorous climbing plant

I have a pergola in my back yard. We have a hammock and glider set up underneath it on the patio. It's a pleasant spot, but gets lots of sun on summer afternoons. I've been thinking of a climbing vine or plant I could plant that would grow over the pergola and give us shade.

Of course my first thought was a Chinese wisteria--but they are so invasive I'm hesitating. One busy summer and they're taking over the whole yard.

I also thought ivy--but the spot might be too sunny, and I'm wondering if ivy is vigorous enough to cover a big part of the structure and give us plenty of shade.

Climbing roses are another option, but I wonder whether they would cover enough of the structure to give much shade.

Suggestions?
    Cathy
    and Nicky, seven years old

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.
    --Beverly Sills

2. Advertisement

BC-MAV
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator for Surrogacy BB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Jasmine, Passion Flower vine, ficus vine, clematis, wisteria, mandevilla, etc...
    MAV Mom to

B (17)
    A (12)

(4/99) (4/05)

KittyAB
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dont laugh what about a grape vine? My grandad did that, it gave really good shade.

Sym2
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have morning glory. The flowers open durring the day and close at night. They come in pink, purple and white.
    The good part of them , for the busy person worried about invasiveness, is thaty dies off in the fall. They will come back in the spring/summer, but in the fall, you just clip the strings at ground level, and they stop growing.
    You can either unwind the twigs in the fall for a clean slate in the spring, or leave them up and wait for winter to naturally let them rott/blow off.

I guess that depends on your location though. I am in southern Canada where winter kills off all remnants of plants. If you get a mild winter, you might have to untwine the twigs left from summer growth. Or just leave them there bc they look cool covered in snow or just left there on the trellas.
    Sym

KittyAB
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sym what zone are you? I am in Zone 3, I wonder if a morning glory would do well here? I want to do a trellas with a climbing blooming plant too next spring.

LSteele
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Clematis is good. I also recommend a NATIVE honeysuckle (not the Japanese kind, which will take over everything in sight).
    Laura, mom to Ryan, 8/25/01