FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
How to get rid of baby elephant ears....

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    BC-MAV
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator for Surrogacy BB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

How to get rid of baby elephant ears....

We had this whole bed dug up.We planted stuff. The ears are coming back and we haven't even had any rain in weeks!!!!! It's really hard to get the roots. These are rough suckers. They are baby ears right now but how do I get rid of them without harming the hibiscus bush, the butterfly bush (buddelia) and the little lantana and flowers in between?

Someone said to kill bamboo shoots (also very tricky to get rid of) she pours Roundup in the cut off shoot. Now I don't know if this would kill the surrounding bamboo but she says it works. Unfortunatlye elephant ears don't have long shoots like a pipe!!!

Any ideas? they are taking over the bed and look awful by the front of the house!
    MAV Mom to

B (17)
    A (12)

(4/99) (4/05)

2. Advertisement

Adrienne
    has status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic
    You have to dig up the whole rizome (or however you spell that). We moved a bunch out of a bed and I waited until I saw new ssprouts to dig up the rest. Hardy little buggers.

I would be very careful about the roundup! I've seen a gardening show where they made a barrier to keep the bamboo in one area.

good luck! We have a bunch of canna lilies that have moved out of a bed into the grass so we will be digging them up when it gets cooler

Adrienne

beautiful boy

BC-MAV
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What's a rizome? I don't know how to dig these suckers up. They are growing in between the bricks!!!!!
    MAV Mom to

B (17)
    A (12)

(4/99) (4/05)

KittyAB
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had to double up my barrier with rocks to get the weeds to stop popping up. As for the bricks.... I took off all my top bricks and put plastic bags (heavy duty) in between them. I have had nothing come through that yet!

Roundup will kill grass... my nieghbor behind my fence did that and killed half of my grass in my back yard!

Adrienne
    has status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhizome

It is the root and it sends out feelers horizontally to set up more oplants. You have to dig all of these things up or you will get more plants. sometimesyou even have to bury a sheet of sheet metal or some other barrier straight down about 3-4 feet to contain these guys.

good luck! These can be tiny fingers that are creeping between the bricks. Personally, I'd dig and dig some more before I'd try to kill these with roundup. You will do more long term damage to the bed with roundup

Adrienne

beautiful boy

BC-MAV
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't think I'll do round-up on this bed and I am sure gonna be careful with the vine spray I got for in between the neighbors fence. They do have a bed with nothing in it so there is nothing to kill. It's a nasty cat claw vine... It's ruining the fence!!!!
    MAV Mom to

B (17)
    A (12)

(4/99) (4/05)