FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Burying compost

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy

Burying compost

I was out looking at my compost pile this week. We're moving and I need to get rid of it, so I'm thinking about burying it in the garden. Not all of it is completely composted. Have you ever done that--till in pulled weeds, fruit rinds etc, that are still recognizable?
    dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

2. Advertisement

DiIP
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't think it would be a problem unless you have a lot of herbavores like raccoons, mice, etc that might be attracted to partially broken down stuff. I've left one old compost heap to just do its own thing and it broke down in about 3 to 4 years. If you tilled it into the garden, the sun/rain breakdown should be enough to neutralize any concentrations of stuff that plants wouldn't like by next year. (IMHO)

Diana
    Warrior Princess D, Astro Slayer
    L born Oct 2001
    C & R born Oct 2003

Don't you go looking for fair. Don't you expect a painless life. Don't go hunting for an easy road. Just you settle for wisdom.. T. Davis Bunn

3boys2luv
    is melting!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    I put cut grass and veg. peels in mine there when I was getting the area ready for winter. It was fine by planting time in late Spring. As long as there aren't big sticks that won't have time to break down, it will probably be fine by the time someone is ready to plant in it next year.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by chickens.

Adrienne
    has status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic
    I think you can work it into the garden without any problems. I went to a talk by a top guy at Texas A&M and what he would do is have one garden area the compost area for that year. He then rotated it to another the next. He said the stuff broke down just fine.

I've quit putting anything from the kitchen in there because we get rats and opossums so ours is all yard stuff. We do have the chickens that 'compost" all the kitchen scraps.

Adrienne

beautiful boy

KittyAB
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    You could see if the city will take it. They take compostables here.

katrack
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    I finally went out and did it yesterday. I dug good-sized holes in the old planting area and buried the compost there. We don't have problems with varmits, so it should be okay. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Boy, as I dug in the dirt I was sad all over again that we are moving. I remember literally having to use a pick ax on part of the garden last year, it was such solid clay. Then I mixed in a cubic yard or two of composted mulch and planted away. When I sank my shovel in to dig the holes, it went right in. A little pressure put the shovel in full depth. ~sigh~ I hope a future owner will be a gardener and appreciate all the work I did to get it ready to plant.

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

katrack
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy

Update

I put the long version in my blog, but burying compost worked! Even burying scraps, etc, in their fresh state worked. Everything but the eggshells was completely broken down. No new compost pile for me--I'm just going to bury things as-is. One note--we don't have a lawn, or else that quantity of green matter would require a compost pile. What I have is mostly kitchen scraps, a few leaves, and garden weeds.