FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
roses

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Kristip
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

roses

Does anyone buy the cheaper roses that you can get at a Home Depot, Menards or Lowes. There are usually 2 kinds of these cheepies( Im talking $5 or less) One is bare root in a bag. Usually long skinny. the other is in a peat pot about 16 high and 10 inches wide.

Any thoughts? I know these tend to be more of the no-care roses. = lots of thorns.

Which is better?
    Do you put ground cover plants around rose bed?

thanks for your thoughts. I have a new house with lots of room for new gardens ( hooray) but as a SAHM, little cash(boo) so trying to cope

2. Advertisement

katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    I came across this in the February 2007 Better Homes & Gardens magazine:
    If you buy roses from a mail-order retailer, you will likely receive dormant bare-root plants, the first choice of many garden pros. Plant them right away in full sun and rich soil.
    So it doesn't sound like this kind of rose is considered to be substandard. And if they are only $5--hey--if you lose a couple, it's not a huge loss.
    dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

BC-MAV
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator for Surrogacy BB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The roses I think are called "knock-out" roses! They bloom all year long and do not recquire pruning. My friend just planted some in our front bed. She said they are maintenance free. And they are GORGEOUS!!! I just noticed a small local mall whose plants had been destroyed by Katrina also planted a long row of these "knock-out" roses, so they MUST be hardy and care free. I don't think they are substandard. Go ahead... knock yourself out and buy them-LOL!!!
    MAV Mom to

B (17)
    A (12)

(4/99) (4/05)