FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
old-fashioned thorny roses

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    CathyNY
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

old-fashioned thorny roses

Our new house is not far from a town nature preserve that is stocked with deer. They make their presence well known.

The people here before us planted some hybrid-tea roses at the front of the house. Not surprisingly, the deer have chewed these poor roses down to nubs. I have heard, however, that deer avoid the old-fashioned varieties of roses with plenty of thorns! So I am trying to find some old-fashioned thorny rose varieties--preferably climbers as I would like to try trellises--and preferably hardy and repeat bloomers. Any suggestions?
    Cathy
    and Nicky, seven years old

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.
    --Beverly Sills

2. Advertisement

katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    This one blooms only once . . . .
    Yellow Lady Banks - 1807, Species
    This rose only blooms once but what a display! Cascades of tightly clustered yellow blooms cover the plant for as long as 6 weeks and perfume the air with a sweet violet scent. The canes are nearly thornless, which makes this a perfect rose for accenting an entryway. The only downside to this rose is that it is susceptible to temperatures below 15 degrees F. Grows 12 - 20 feet. Fragrant. Deer resistant. Hardiness zones: 8 - 9.
    The link: http://www.pallensmith.com/index.php...id=113&aid=668

And a Google search: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...22&btnG=Search
    dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

m(or)
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    We also have deer walking and snacking in our yard. And they chow on the roses regularly. Dh likes it though because he has to mow around them and this way the roses don't grab him. The roses do survive and thrive. And they sure have lots of thorns. Unfortunately I don't know what kind they are. I have seen books at our library that describe deer resistant plants. The nurseries in your area should be able to help also.
    M
    Wife to W Married 34 years
    Mommy to dd K 19 years old and
    ds M and dd C 16 years old