FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Do you know what these are called?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Daviso
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy

Do you know what these are called?

Don't know if anyone can answer this question for me or not, but I was wondering if anyone knew the "common" name for the planter/pot in the image below. It is flat on one side (so it can be on its side w/o rolling over) - it looks like a regular vase but one side is flat... My dh bought the one pictured for me at Home Depot last week. I want to find more (different sizes, colors, etc.) - maybe even find a website that sells them or local home supply stores that may have them, but I don't know what they are called.

I've seen the word tinajones (pronounced Tee - nah - ho - ness) on the internet (or the words tinajas and tinajón) associated with much larger versions of these, but most the info I find is about Camagüey (the "City of Tinajones") where they were originally used to store water, olive oils, etc... - not really where to buy them or what they are commonly called. I've seen them in many pictures for decorating (both outside and inside), but they are always a background item/decoration that isn't named in the article... I saw some them used as decorations around my college (like in the cafe area and such) also...

Anyway... If anyone knows anything about this style of planter, please let me know. I'm especially looking for a name that they might be called in the stores... noone usually knows what I am talking about when I ask, and it gets frustrating.
    Last edited by Daviso; 05-07-2006 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Add information

2. Advertisement

Daviso
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    Oh, no!!!

No one here knows either (Lots of views on post but no answers... )? LOL - I may never know what they are called!

I will post the answer here if I ever find out...

3boys2luv
    is melting!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    Sorry, I've looked under everything I can think of and I can't find them, either. Good luck!
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by chickens.

Daviso
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    Quote Originally Posted by bopsvw
    Hahahaha!!! I've got no clue girlfriend...I've never seen them at my Home Depots or Lowes stores. They're sort of southwestern looking. I'd be doing the same "it's a vase/planter with a flat side so it doesn't tip over" thing at all the stores!!! And I'd be getting the same strange looks!!!!!

LOL

Why is it such a mystery? You know when you can't think of a name of a song, movie, or someone's name and you can't get the thought out of your head? That is what is happening to me with this "it's a vase/planter with a flat side so it doesn't tip over" thing!

At least I am not the only one that doesn't know!

Sym2
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I googled pots/planters/containers etc for about 20 minutes yesterday.
    No luck, but if anyone can think of the name of another item, maybe you could google that word with pots/plants/containers etc.

The word I am looking for is:
    The cone shaped, fruit/vegetable holder that is typically seen around Thanksgiving. Is it a horn? something like that I think.
    Now this is going to drive me nuts too because I know bothe names, and can't think or either-lol
    Sym

3boys2luv
    is melting!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    cornucopia
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by chickens.

BrookeC
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Brooke
    & 9-02
    "You can Never go down the Drain"..... Mr. Rogers

Daviso
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    Brooke:

They are very similar to the links below, but the difference is the size. The ones I am talking about are too big and heavy to be place on a wall. They are usually placed in gardens or on the floor b/c of their size.

Thanks for the links though... they gave me some other ideas for my new screened porch area!

katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    I saw one today and immediately thought of you! There is a beautiful SW-style home I drive by regularly. They just put in their flower beds for the season and have a huge one of these as part of the display. It looks wonderful!

(2b2l, it's right across from Red Rock Elem.)
    dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

Daviso
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    Quote Originally Posted by BC-katrack
    I saw one today and immediately thought of you! There is a beautiful SW-style home I drive by regularly. They just put in their flower beds for the season and have a huge one of these as part of the display. It looks wonderful!

(2b2l, it's right across from Red Rock Elem.)

They are beautiful... very eye-catching!