FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
What would you do about these fast-growing vegetable starts?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy

What would you do about these fast-growing vegetable starts?

I should be glad to have this problem, but I'm not sure what to do about it. The earliest planting date in my area is May 18th. I have all my seedlings growing happily in my window and they will definitely be ready to plant by then. The squash/cukes are growing VERY vigorously and will be more than ready.

My problem is that we are going on vacation around then for 1-2 weeks. What should I do with the plants? If I plant them outside they will dry out. If I leave them in their little peat pots they will far outgrow them. I've thought of putting all the little peat pots in a bigger planter full of potting mix and putting it all in the bath tub of an interior bathroom, watering them well, then covering it with plastic, turning off the light, and closing the door. I think that would put them in some kind of suspended animation. What do you think?

I also have a friend with a teenager who lives a short walk from here. I've thought about trying to hire her to come over and water them outside in the garden (if I plant them). I'm just not sure if she would be reliable, etc, etc.
    dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

2. Advertisement

LisaN
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused
    I would go with planting them outside and hiring your friend's daughter. Could your friend sort of discreetly check up on her to make sure she follows through? Would your friend water them for you?

Putting the plants in the dark under plastic might grow mold. I had a mold issue when I sprouted plants last year and used plastic to keep moisture in (and that was in full sun).

Let us know what you end up doing

Enjoy your vacation!!!!
    Lisa

"Is uniformity of opinion desirable? No more than of face and stature." Thomas Jefferson