FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Sandy soil?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy

Sandy soil?

Dh and I live in the desert and have had very, very little precipitation this winter. The bare ground in the back yard is just powder where is it walked on frequently. I'm thinking that means we have sandy soil. So what do you add to that to make it hold water a little better? I thought I'd have raised veggie beds this year to circumvent that problem but due to the cost I have the feeling my garden will be in the good old ground-level dirt this year.
    dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

2. Advertisement

Daviso
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    I know nothing about planting stuff. I think my green thumb fell off at birth or something.

However, I did a search on the internet and found some info that may help you. I've listed the actual site; I didn't do much else on this site, but this looks like the info you may need... http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/feature/backyard/orgmtrsl.html

"Successful gardening depends on good soil. One of the best ways to improve soil fertility is to add organic matter. It helps soil hold important plant nutrients. By adding organic matter to sandy soil, you improve the ability of the soil to retain water. In a clay soil, humus will loosen the soil to make it more crumbly. You can increase the organic matter in your garden by adding compost or applying mulch."

Hope it helps some

We moved into our house not too long ago, and I would really like to try my hand at planting some stuff. I'm a little afraid b/c I end up killing everything. Good luck on your garden...
    Last edited by Daviso; 01-19-2006 at 10:49 PM.

Cheez-It
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Locally we have CLAY type soil and not sandy, but it still is not something you easily plant in. When I put my garden in the back yard years ago the first problem was running into debris from a collapsed garage (big concrete blocks and stones etc) (No wonder the grass wasn;t growing there) Anyways, what I did the fist year after hauling the stuff I ran into, was go to Home Depot and buy at a relatively cheap price bags of: garden soil, mushroom or other organic compost soil. I dumped them in the garden square and mixed with the clay like soil. Every year I add a few more bags but not as many as I did that first year. Also when I do flowers in there I put in the shredded soft wood mulch and turn that into the soil at the end of the year. Over time the garden soil is completely different from the rest of the back yard.

Maybe you can do this with the sandy soil
    I will no longer allow my children to be used by a site owner capable of being a fake bereaved parent to infilitrate another bereaved parent support site.

katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    I wondered if just using compost would do the trick. I've heard mushroom compost is like magic dirt. I started a compost pile but didn't do it until last fall and thus there isn't a whole lot of microbial action going on in our cold winter here at 6,800 ft. elevation. Maybe it will be something I can use the following spring.

I love the idea that you just do a little each year and over time it adds up to some good garden soil. Thanks Daviso and Marjie
    dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

Twins_Squared
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm, I live at the beach so we have very sandy soil, but I don't add anything other than compost and it has worked fine. I also use a nitrogen based fertilizer (like fish emulsion--stinks, I know) and add iron as the sand sort of leaches out the iron.