FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
need help with colors and decorating ideas...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Brianna
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

need help with colors and decorating ideas...

I want to redecorate our living room and need some suggestions with colors. Our furniture is in great shape. We have a dark brown leather sofa and two recliners that are a tan with dark brown flecks in the fabric. The walls are white. Curtains are a tan color. Our floor plan is fairly open and you can see the dining room and kitchen from the living room. Need suggestions on a color combination that would work well in all three rooms. Please help as I am terrible at decorating. Anyone care to share pictures? Thank you.
    Brianna
    b/g twins 2 years old

2. Advertisement

BetsyE
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Oh, I love to redecorate!
    I have some questions for you:
    Are you planning to paint the white walls?
    What is the floor like?
    Are you planning to change the dining room and kitchen too, or they will stay the same?
    If they stay the same, what do they look like?
    Betsy & John (11/7/02)
    & my furbaby Piper

bigdipper
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brown is such a nuetral color, you can almost go in any direction based on your sofa and curtains. Yellow, a nice butter color, (not sunshine yellow) would work well. Also a muted red, or brick color would work well too. Anything muted works well with brown for a wall color and you can add punches of bright colors in accessories like window treatments or pillows. Then you can pull some of the accent colors from your living room into your kitchen and diningroom without interrupting the flow.
    Annette
    Mallory Born Sleeping 2/02 ( )
    Owen Domestic adoption 9/02
    Alden Domestic adoption 5/07

Brianna
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am so conservative when it comes to redecorating, because I'm afraid of making mistakes and I am just plain not good at it. I am planning on leaving the walls white. I will put in new carpet, out dining room is carpet as well, but was thinking about puting tile in. What do you all think. Like I said our kitchen, dining room and living room will have to all be pulled together. I plan on new curtains in all the rooms as well. Any suggestions, color combinations, ideas, anything would be wonderfully appreciated. Our kitchen is neutral with oak cabinets and the dining room is white walls and beige carpet, but I am going to redo the carpet. Thank you so much. I am excited about your suggestions.
    Brianna
    b/g twins 2 years old

Brianna
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Everyone,
    I am bumping this, hoping for ideas. I am the worlds worst when it comes to decorating. Thank you.
    Brianna
    b/g twins 2 years old

BetsyE
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sorry it took me forever to reply. Life has gotten away from me!

Anyway, I think that the dark brown, tan, gold, red combination would be nice and easy to incorporate into all the rooms. I am attaching a picture from the pottery barn website to sort of show the colors together. There is a leather sofa in the room and the walls are white like yours. With the white walls, I think you need to have a few dark pieces in the room just for interest - like the black wrought iron tables here, or some other black iron smaller pieces maybe.

What do you think?
    Betsy & John (11/7/02)
    & my furbaby Piper

Sconi
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok. I am a little more bold but I love the color brown and Tiffany blue (robin's egg blue) together!