FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
My garden is GONE!!!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Erica J.
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My garden is GONE!!!

I went out to weed my garden and oh my word!! The rabbits ate ALL my green bean plants(even the stems!)and has started on my carrots,ACK!!! How do I stop it?? I think its too late to save my beans at this point. Any pointers for next year?

P/S

Sherri,
    i tried tying plastic bags but I think they used them a a toy!!!

2. Advertisement

katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    What about some kind of mesh fencing for next year? Rabbits don't dig, do they? If so you might have to bury the bottom of the mesh a few inches under the dirt. You must have been so dismayed to discover your garden had turned into a salad bar.
    dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

Roo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, hope you don't mind me barging in here. I just found this board and absolutely love gardening.

The fence is a good idea, but something that might be a bit cheaper is human hair. I know it sounds crazy, but since I am a hairdresser I remember people actually coming into the shop to get bags of cut hair to put through their garden. Of course I am not sure I would want just anyone's hair around my veggies, but if you save some cuttings of your family's haircuts, the rabbits will smell the human scent and tend to stay away. It doesn't have to be bags of hair, but just enough to keep the scent around. I thought it was crazy myself until I tried it.

Hopefully the rabbits will stay out of your garden soon.

Roo

Erica J.
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BC-Roo
    Hi, hope you don't mind me barging in here. I just found this board and absolutely love gardening.

The fence is a good idea, but something that might be a bit cheaper is human hair. I know it sounds crazy, but since I am a hairdresser I remember people actually coming into the shop to get bags of cut hair to put through their garden. Of course I am not sure I would want just anyone's hair around my veggies, but if you save some cuttings of your family's haircuts, the rabbits will smell the human scent and tend to stay away. It doesn't have to be bags of hair, but just enough to keep the scent around. I thought it was crazy myself until I tried it.

Hopefully the rabbits will stay out of your garden soon.
    Please, barge!!!! The more the merrier!!

I never thought of something like that. I will have to try it as the boys are getting hair cuts this wknd.
    Thansk for ther idea and welcome!!!

CathyNY
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Another trick I have heard of is sprinkling the plants liberally with cayenne pepper or spraying them with cayenne pepper spray. I know this keeps many kinds of furry pests off. Do rabbits like hot food?

The hair idea might work too. . . and in any case hair is good for gardens. I used to get bags now and then from my local hairdresser to compost.
    Cathy
    and Nicky, seven years old

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.
    --Beverly Sills

M&M
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard of the pepper idea too. Good luck!

Melinda

Erica J.
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I was going to try the pepper trick but it is past saving this year. I think I will take a pic and show you all what the **** rabbit did!UGH!

Sherri
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have tried the hair and dried blood tricks with no luck.The rabbits here also stay pretty happy eating fallen feed from my bird feeder and squirrel feeder-maybe that helps?I did buy some pricey hot pepper spray from a garden center,but got tired of reapplying.Generally,after my plants get bigger the rabbits lose intrest.They do still eat my red multi-flowering tulips off at the ground every spring .
    Z=15
    G=13
    R=9
    E=6

www.SweetieDumplings.etsy.com

HUGE summer clearance!

leighmarker
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe that is what is getting my little garden, never thought of rabbits..kept blaming it on the armadillos! but this am when I got up they (whoever they are) chewed a whole in the netting I have around my tomatoes and just dug around everything.....they didnt eat any of the plants though---just dug up all the plants and around the roots-no more lettuce for me this year...hopefully the fox urethea sold at the builders mart will work......anyone have any suggestions?
    me 37, dh 34
    MAY 2005 1ST IVF converted to IUI 5/22/05 BFN
    onward adoption process
    YA YA Sister

Erica J.
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welll, the carrots are now gone as well . I hope to have better luck next year.