FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
POF and weight loss (or more to say no weight loss)

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Snuggles31
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

POF and weight loss (or more to say no weight loss)

I'd like to know if there are others out there with POF like me that have trouble loosing weight?

For the last year i've changed my whole lifestyle regarding food and exercise and I'm close to loosing 50 pounds now.. I still have more to loose but it's all good. Just feel POF in combination with having to take birth control pills to initiate a period has stalled my weight loss. Very frustrating!

2. Advertisement

tnahope
    has no status.
    High FSH and POF
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I feel it makes it hard for me...not sure if its the High FSH but it is a lot harder now than it was a few years ago. I just read somewhere that hormone issues can make it harder and Im thinking it said that P4 supplements can help. Im thinking of getting some progesterone cream, see if maybe that helps.
    Me 37 DH 37
    IVF 1&3 Cancelled~IVF 2 BFN~IVF#4 BFP m/c ~IVF#5 converted to IUI BFN~IVF#6 BFN FET- None survived the thaw BC of the High FSH board

Snuggles31
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    How interesting.. didn't know progesterone could help with weight loss.. I've heard DHEA can do that also. I've been hanging around the mid 160's for awhile now... despite watching what i eat, weight training and working out 3 x a week. Very frustrating.

tnahope
    has no status.
    High FSH and POF
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Im finally starting to get the scale to move, IN the right direction, but Ive watched, did Zumba and walked for months. I just read that about P4 supplements?? But its not the first that Ive read High FSHers need P4 support.
    Me 37 DH 37
    IVF 1&3 Cancelled~IVF 2 BFN~IVF#4 BFP m/c ~IVF#5 converted to IUI BFN~IVF#6 BFN FET- None survived the thaw BC of the High FSH board

msuwvu
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a peronal trainer last summer & did weight training 3 days a week & took 5 spin classes a week from May to Aug, also watching what I ate (I'm a nutritionist) and did not lose 1 pound!! (only wanted to lose 10 lbs but still). This was before I was diagnosed w/POF so I KNEW something was wrong!! & that's when I started missing my periods too, I thought it was just all the exercise!! & then I started getting hot flashes & the rest is history... It TOTALLY SUCKS ASS!

Snuggles31
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    @msuwvu yes i agree it does suck.. I've been lucky enough to loose almost 50 pounds but now i'm just sitting here at mid 160's.. Very frustrating especially when you are eating right and exercising. I'm going to look into P4 cream after I've finished this clomid challenge test as I don't want any natural or synthetic hormones to mess with the test results. But since going back on this darn BCP (which i don't think is helping me loose weight at all) I have very tender breasts.. so tender i have to wear a bra to bed.. even water on them... ouch! And being the hopeful person I am I had to do a pregnancy test and yes .. yet again NEGATIVE! Oh well lol

I was talking to a friend today who recommended a magnesium supplement to help with weight loss and metabolism. I don't want to resort to those diet pills as i have high blood pressure (controlled with meds) but i'm sure it would mess with me and keep me awake at night. Glad i'm not the only one in this boat. Last year i was going to these infertility support groups and they were talking about changing the way your mind thinks. For example.. i always say "i have trouble loosing weight or my metabolism is sooo slow" instead I should say "i find loosing weight easy and my metabolism is very fast".. haha.. I get what they are trying to do.. about self-fulling prophecies etc.. but NO! I really do have trouble loosing weight.. Thats just a fact right there.. lol

mary-d
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi
    I have been having the exact same thoughts. I have totally cleaned out my diet last 2 years ever since being diagnosed with POF, and have been trying to exercise every day and nothing, not a pound has shifted.
    I've recently started supplementing with Inositol, colostrum, and magnesium oil, I'll let you know if I have any luck. Inositol is supposed to help egg quality but also helps the liver metabolize fat. Colostrum is supposed to help turn fat into muscle.
    I'm 5'4", 130 pounds but my BMI is quite high bordering on overweight/obese. BMI has a lot to do with fertility too.
    Having too much or too little is not a good thing, so I'm trying to bring it down.

Amber209
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amazed
    snuggles - congrats on the huge weight loss!

I just want to say I lost about 15 lbs recently with Burn Fat, Lose Weight, and Gain Muscle - DailyBurn its a calorie tracking website and has lots of foods (you can see foods other people have entered). I think it is really hard to lose weight by just exercising. I have actually stalled myself, still looking to lose 5 more lbs to put me at "normal" BMI. I think it is because I have stopped tracking calories (the vacation did not help either), I also have been going out to eat more then I should. We used to have a weight loss/healthy living thread here, but I don't think anyone has posted much to it.
    Me 38 DH 43
    FSH 11 and Stage 3 endometriosis (lap removed Jan '11)
    TTC 5 years
    6/07 natural BFP m/c @ 9wks
    IUIs 1-3 (Jul-Sep '08) BFNs
    IVFs #1-4 11/08 - 6/09 2-13 eggs, 0-3 embryos, all BFN egg quality issues
    12/09 - thyroid cancer removed 3/10
    Apr '11 Natural BFP betas 14, 18, 27 Chemical preg
    IVF #5 Aug '11 one 12 cell embryo on day 3 - BFP!

Fireflyxx
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Have you all had your thyroid levels checked? If you have hypothyroid and don't know it it could contribute to not being able to lose weight. I'm have it and at one point tried for4 months to lose a few pounds and just couldn't - turns out my thyroid numbers had gone up and I needed to increase my dosage. I didn't believe it until it actually happened to me

anngrant
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can read some information in diet pills on Canada Drugs Direct . But personally i wouldn't recommend you to take them. Loosing weight just takes time. Don't use diet pills, they can be harmful.
    Work out a lot, eat healthy, sleep well. And you will see the result. Just be patient!