FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Success Story with an FSH of 110

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Tutah
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Success Story with an FSH of 110

After my initial discovery of my high FSH, I wanted to post this to give others hope. I am not one to blog or post things online, but I felt this was necessary to inspire others not to give up. In October of 2007, I went to my regular doctor for an annual check-up. I had just turned 39, in good physical shape, exercised regularly, ate well, but also had some bad habits. Diet coke freak (5 a day), huge coffee drinker, smoker..bad I know. I noticed that I was getting night sweats and hot flashes and mentioned it to my practitioner. She said it would be a good idea to test my FSH, considering the symptoms and my age. I had never had kids or married, but had been dating someone for a few years and recently got engaged and we both wanted to have kids. My doctor called with the results a few days later and told me my FSH was 110 and explained what that meant. She told me my chances of conceiving with my own eggs was pretty much impossible at this point and that donor eggs or adoption would be my only choices. She gave me her deepest sympathies. Her thought was that I had gone into pre-mature menopause or had POF. She referred me to an endocrinologist for follow-up to ensure the diagnosis. I had my FSH tested again and it was still high, 70. They did a transvaginal ultrasound and saw that there were two eggs present at the time of my visit. The endocrinologist was hopeful because of the fact that I had eggs present, but still said my chances of conceiving on my own were extremely low. He put me on 2mg of estrogen and had me come back on day 14 of my cycle. My periods were irregular, sometimes I wouldn't get one of 3 months. Other times I would get 2 within a month. When I returned on day 14, when I finally got a period, there were also 2 eggs. But they were maturing slowly and weren't the size they should be at the time in the cycle. He advised me to keep taking the estrogen and said let's wait and see what happens. I went for a few more months for ultrasounds on day 14 of each cycle, even though irregular, but stopped afterawhile. I just kept taking the estrogen, but mostly to relieve the hot flashes. The estrogen over time made my periods regular. I never had my FSH tested again after the 2nd time. I just didn't want to hear the same song and dance again. I did visit an actupuncturist in hopes that this would somehow help. We made a few changes to my diet. Stopped the diet coke and swtiched to club soda. The actupuncturist said that diet coke was the most horrible thing you could put into your body. Switched from regular coffee to organic decaf. Didn't stop smoking, but cut it down and switched to organic, additive free cigarettes. She said most of the bad from smoking comes from all the chemicals in the cigarettes (I'll buy that!) I also stopped heating things in plastics and limited my consumption of things that came in plastic. Also converted my diet to about 60% organic. My fiance and I accepted the fact that we may not have children of our own. He was totally okay with it, even though I know he really wanted it he said the most important thing is that we are together. Awwww...... Adoption would be my first choice over a donor egg any day. We moved on...took a new job, traveled alot and enjoyed our lives. Low and behold...I found out I was pregnant on December 31, 2008. Yes! I conceived on my own. I took 2 UPTs because I thought the 1st was totally wrong. I then called the doctor for a blood test, in which they confirmed I was 5 1/2 weeks pregnant. I told my fiance at midnight on New Year's Eve...if you only could have seen the look on his face. There were tears, it was awesome! I'm entering my 2nd trimester and things are great. So if this is you in this situation, don't ever give up hope. Even when the doctors say there is no chance, slim chance, whatever. The human body is so amazing and complex, nobody ever knows for sure, they can only speculate. Good luck to all of you out there I'm cheering for you!!!

2. Advertisement

Montygat
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tutah: Thank you so much for posting. I'm in the Chicago area too. While I was a little younger and my FSH was lower (52), I was also given a really grim prognosis. I went the IVF route and am 27 weeks pg with twins. But our chances were LOW- however, low is better than nothing. You're right, the human body is an amazing thing. You did a really great thing by focusing on healing your body as opposed to focusing on being "broken"- which was a problem for me. The mind/ body relationship is very strong.

Blessings to you and best wishes for an uneventful pregnancy.

bes1622
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Monty - your story is so inspiring!!!

I am so grateful to you that you posted it here so that you could inspire HOPE in others who need it.

I am continually amazed by how many of us there are who manage to overcome - despite being told we have "no chance" or "a 1% chance" or "<5% chance". It really gives me strength in that the doctors can make their guesses and predictions, but only powers greater than all of us can ultimately decide who will get to bring life into the world, not RE's!!!

Congratulations and I hope you have a wonderfully healthy remainder of your pregnancy and a joyous life with your little one!!

Bess 40 DH 46
    Dx:High FSH [high 17.6] Severe MFI

IUI#1 5/07 BFP M/C, D/E @9 wks My angel was a boy...
    3 IUI's, 2 IVF's converted to IUI, BFN
    20x15 cyst 3/26-cx'd, 34x20 cyst 4/20-cx'd
    MDF Oversupp 5-6/08-cx'd
    IUI#7 7/11/8 BFN
    1st IVF@SIRM-Tx'd 2 Gr 1/8 cell embies 11/7-I'm PG!
    Beta 11/17= 90, 11/19=265
    My little miracle is here 7-24-09!!

tnahope
    has no status.
    High FSH and POF
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story!!!
    Me 37 DH 37
    IVF 1&3 Cancelled~IVF 2 BFN~IVF#4 BFP m/c ~IVF#5 converted to IUI BFN~IVF#6 BFN FET- None survived the thaw BC of the High FSH board

little sprite
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bless you for sharing your story, Tutah. I love this place. When the fear and despair get to be too much, there is always someone here to help me hold onto my hope. Thank you so much. And thanks to all the lovely ladies here. You all inspire me.

mrs.doolittle
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! You've given me hope. It's so easy to get caught up in the stats and start thinking it'll never happen. So glad to hear your story...

molly1234
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    tutah. what was the estrogen you were taking and how much?