FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
At what point did your GD really kick in or become harder to control w/ just diet?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    franki
    want to complete our family
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful

At what point did your GD really kick in or become harder to control w/ just diet?

I am 27 weeks pregnant today.
    Due to a family history of diabetes, being overweight when I got PG, and being a nut case, I asked to be tested at 17 weeks for GD.
    I failed my 1 hr test and passed my 3 hr test, although on my three hour test on the first hour I was 2 above the level.

As a result of everything, my doctor said I probably have some form of glucose intolerance and that at some point it would turn into GD. So I have been testing 6 times a day since 17 weeks and I saw a nutritionist and have been following a suggested diet plan ever since.

My fasting ranges between 78-91, the 91 was the highest I got but only a few times in the past few months and usually following a late dinner.

my pre lunch and dinner levels are always under 100, usually in the 70s with very few times in the 60s and 80s.

For post meal, my doctor wants me to be under 140 after one hour. I am usually in the 110s-120s. A few times I have spiked, but when I have been bad and not following the diet and I have eaten a pile of rice (weakness) or pizza (extra weakness).

I haven't gained much weight, only 6 lbs and the baby is normal size.

My doctors say that that pre meal and post meal numbers are great except the occasional pigging out numbers. They are still concerned with the fasting range numbers and now they want me to come in every 2 weeks so they can go over my results.

I don't feel like I am doing that badly, I am wondering if I really am or if this is just my doctors being extra careful?

they keep telling me that they think I will for sure need meds, either the pills or insulin at some point. Really? Does it get so much worse later in the pregnancy, are my results bad for this early in my pregnancy?

After IVF, I am not scared of shots, I just don't want to be on any more meds though.

Just need some perspective.
    Last edited by franki; 10-07-2013 at 03:06 PM.
    ~Franki
    Me: 33 started TTC at 30, 31 diagnosed with DOR
    DH: 44 MF- started TTC at 42 low everything

TTC #1--IUI- August 2012-BFN; IVF#1- Oct/Nov 2012- BCP, Microdose Lupron protocol- BFN; IVF#2- March/April 2013 BFP UNREAL!--->DS 01/14
    TTC #2. IVF #3- Sept./Oct 2014. BFP!!! Feeling very blessed

2. Advertisement

EllaDuChien
    is ready to get moving!

Post Thanks / Like
    Frankie - with my DD I was diagnosed with GD at 24 weeks. I did the 6x a day testing and the nutritionist visits. I gained 15 lbs throughout my entire pregnancy.
    I was told the same thing as you, that I would need meds to control my sugar later in pregnancy. However, I was able to control my numbers with diet all the way to the end, and my daughter was born healthy at 6lbs 11oz. Hardly a giant GD baby!
    As long as you are documenting the food so you know what causes your spikes, I think your numbers are fine. The fasting number is hardest to control, my nutritionist actually suggested that I have a small snack or glass of milk in the middle of the night, she said it actually helps to not go all night without eating. As you get further in your pregnancy, you will be getting up more and more in the middle of the night, so this might be something to consider!
    Don't lose hope, you can control with diet all the way to the end. And even if you don't and you need to go on meds, just know you are doing all that you can to have a healthy baby! Best of luck!!
    IUI #1 3/5/2011 BFP!
    IUI #2 1/2013 BFP!
    Blighted Ovum - D&C 2/13/2013
    IUI#3 3/2013 - BFN
    IUI#4 4/2013 - BFN
    IUI #5 5/2013 - BFN
    IUI #6 9/2013 - BFN
    IU #7 10/2013 - Cancelled (functional cysts)
    IUI #7 11/2013 - BFN
    Likes Medicmedic liked this post

franki
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    I am so glad that somebody responded, it's good to know that it's possible to control with just diet.
    So I haven't been back to the nutritionist since I went the first 2 times, I really didn't like it. I have been following their diet but I don't want to see them again. I have been going with trial and error.
    The past two nights I had a bowl of rice crispy cereal (1 cup) and some milk and I thought I would for sure be high in the morning but the opposite! I actually noticed that my fasting went down to 80 today 82 yesterday from the high 80s and 90 that I was getting recently. Before I wasn't eating my bedtime snack because I thought it would make me spike but I think it is helping. I will keep trying different things. I really do think I have a good handle on it so far, other than spiking after obviously eating a ton of carbs, I have been well within the normal ranges they told me to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by EllaDuChien View Post
    Frankie - with my DD I was diagnosed with GD at 24 weeks. I did the 6x a day testing and the nutritionist visits. I gained 15 lbs throughout my entire pregnancy.
    I was told the same thing as you, that I would need meds to control my sugar later in pregnancy. However, I was able to control my numbers with diet all the way to the end, and my daughter was born healthy at 6lbs 11oz. Hardly a giant GD baby!
    As long as you are documenting the food so you know what causes your spikes, I think your numbers are fine. The fasting number is hardest to control, my nutritionist actually suggested that I have a small snack or glass of milk in the middle of the night, she said it actually helps to not go all night without eating. As you get further in your pregnancy, you will be getting up more and more in the middle of the night, so this might be something to consider!
    Don't lose hope, you can control with diet all the way to the end. And even if you don't and you need to go on meds, just know you are doing all that you can to have a healthy baby! Best of luck!!
    ~Franki

TTC #1--IUI- August 2012-BFN; IVF#1- Oct/Nov 2012- BCP, Microdose Lupron protocol- BFN; IVF#2- March/April 2013 BFP UNREAL!--->DS 01/14

Medicmedic
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angry
    I was never diagnosed in my first pregnancy. It was after the fact that they thought it had happened. I was diagnosed very, very late with my second pregnancy. I was very ill. I ended up having to be admitted for severe high blood glucose. I never quite got it under control and ended up in the hospital with high blood pressure, high sugars, pre-eclampsia, etc. My DD was born at 37 weeks with no room left in my belly, very little amniotic fluid, etc. She was very large. My third pregnancy was diagnosed at 12 weeks or less. I went to insulin immediately. I had very few problems with him. It truly depends on your ability to care for yourself. Be consistent. Be guarded about your sugar and diet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Me- 41 Secondary Infertility, Hydrosalpinx, DH- 26 No known defects
    My Own Eggs- IVF 10/12 BFN, IVF 12/12 BFN, FET 1/13 BFN, IVF 2/13 BFN
    Donor Eggs- IVF 4/13 Frozen Eggs BFN, IVF 7/13 Fresh Donor eSet BFN, FET 8/13 BFN; FET eSET 10/13 BFN; FET of 2 11/13 BFP, first beta 304, second 1106, third 10246 (5w4d pg) u/s shows ONE bean!

My blog - Normal People Don't Talk About This

dianadeep
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the golden rule is to discuss everything you eat with your doctor if you had gestational diabetes. My sister has GD and she is a huge fan of : http://gestationaldiabetesblog.com/g...betes-recipes/.

Medicmedic
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angry
    I'm approaching the point in my pregnancy that I should be placed on insulin. The insulin doesn't bother me at all. I don't mind the shots. I do mind the roller coaster though. It seemed like I was always on an emotional roller coaster, which cycled with my blood sugar.

I also ended up with pre-eclampsia and pregnancy induced hypertension.

I have no idea if this has anything to do with not needing insulin yet, but I gave up gluten which has really decreased my immune response. I am reading the book "The Paleo Approach" and it talks about how all of the above conditions are part of an autoimmune response. They suggest eating Paleo to decrease the severity. Since I already cut gluten and carbs out (mostly), I can't help but wonder if its helping me. I should cut out dairy too... I know this. I'm not officially paleo, I just recognize that a lot of the changes I made before I even read the book follow along with its thinking.

Has anyone else tried the Paleo approach?
    Me- 41 Secondary Infertility, Hydrosalpinx, DH- 26 No known defects
    My Own Eggs- IVF 10/12 BFN, IVF 12/12 BFN, FET 1/13 BFN, IVF 2/13 BFN
    Donor Eggs- IVF 4/13 Frozen Eggs BFN, IVF 7/13 Fresh Donor eSet BFN, FET 8/13 BFN; FET eSET 10/13 BFN; FET of 2 11/13 BFP, first beta 304, second 1106, third 10246 (5w4d pg) u/s shows ONE bean!

My blog - Normal People Don't Talk About This

franki
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    I can't believe I am back again on this board.
    I am PG with #2 and I am 31 weeks. I didn't get tested as early this time because I thought it was really unnecessary last time. Baby #1 was born normal weight and I was fine after.
    My fasting is off the charts and I am getting bad post meal numbers even though I am not eating much.
    I am soooo upset
    ~Franki

agr72
    Wants to get this show on the road!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    I am sorry you are dealing with GD again! I had mild GD w/ my DS (I threw up during the 3 hr test and decided to assume I had it instead of taking the test again) and am now 24 weeks pregnant w/ a second DS. My OB made me test at 16 weeks this time, but I passed that one. Next test will be in about a month...I have my fingers crossed I'll pass this time. Although my OB did not sound very optimistic that I won't get it this time again.

Have you tried diet controlling this time? It truly does suck to have to diet control, but I actually felt better when I did last time.
    Me: 42, AMH = 0.32
    DH: 39
    DS - born 7/12 from IUI No. 2

Trying for No. 2
    IVF 1 - May 2013
    6 eggs, 3 fertilized and made to day 5 blast
    Transfer 1 Grade A - BFP - missed m/c at 8 weeks

FET - 11/27/13 - 2 frosties - BFN
    Frozen DE cycle - April 2014 - BFN
    One last shot...Fresh DE at Shady Grove
    Transfer 1 EBCC embryo 11/28/14 - BFP!

franki
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    Sorry didn't remember to check in. It got worse and no amount of dieting is controlling my fasting numbers. They said I need medication so I chose insulin instead of the pill because it doesn't cross the placenta and I am use to the needles from IVF.

Even with insulin I have problems controlling fasting numbers. Increasing dosage.

Poop.
    ~Franki