FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Qestion: MTHFR, heparin and delivery

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    evisunshine
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Qestion: MTHFR, heparin and delivery

Hi

I'm 33yo, currently 34w6d pg after IVF#4 and I have been diagnosed with MTHFR heterozygous C677T.
    I got baby aspirin and 5mg folic acid up to week 32 (when I was in hospital with contractions and they feared they would have to do a c-section and stopped the baby aspirin). They changed my meds into fragmin shots (low molecular weight heparin once a day) -
    so when it comes to delivery at the moment this would mean a 12 (or even 24hour, OB wasn't sure) window during which I couldn't get an epidural because of bleeding complications...so I probably will have to change again into a heparin that doesn't last that long and do the shots 3 times a day ...which will then mean an 8 hours window...It's a bit scary to know that there will be HOURS during which I can't get an epidural even if I want or need to....has anyone experience with heparin during the 3rd trimester and delivery under heparin?
    Over here in Germany no one seems to know what exactly to do with me and my heterozygous state and they don't seem to have much experience, so any experiences would be much appreciated

thanks
    Evi
    Me 34 DH 35
    High FSH (17.3), poor responder, MF
    Several clomid cycles BFN
    IUI #1-3 BFN
    IVF #1-3 BFN
    IVF#4 March 09: 4 eggs, 2 embryos transferred, BFP!!
    Our DD is here: born Nov 28th 2009!!!

2. Advertisement

lila
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Evi- I wish I could help you. I hope that someone with more info comes along!!! I have read that they switch you to heparin at 36 weeks just incase you go into labor early but I am not familiar with the epidural. I have mthfr homozygous C so I will take Lovenox when I get pregnant again. Good luck and I hope you find your answer!!!

evisunshine
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi lila,

Thanks for answering! I'm sorry to read what you have been through so far.
    I know a little more by now because I asked a friend who is an anesthesist and she told me to switch over to some kind of normal heparin instead of low molecular weight heparin twice a day at 37 weeks and then an epidural is not possible in the 4 hours following the shot (and four hours is managable in nearly any case I hope).
    I hope your next IVF is a BFP and in 9 months you'll need this piece of information yourself.
    all the best!!!
    Evi
    Me 34 DH 35
    High FSH (17.3), poor responder, MF
    Several clomid cycles BFN
    IUI #1-3 BFN
    IVF #1-3 BFN
    IVF#4 March 09: 4 eggs, 2 embryos transferred, BFP!!
    Our DD is here: born Nov 28th 2009!!!

lila
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ev- Thanks, I hope so too!!! I hope that everything goes great with your delivery!!!!