FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
need help with something from pathology report

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    ChristyAnn
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

need help with something from pathology report

Received the report from our 5th m/c, and there's one thing I don't understand. for Karyotype, it has 46, XY, add (18)(p11.2). What does the p11.2 mean? TIA.
    Christy
    T J

I had cast my lot with a soldier, and where he was, was home to me.
    Martha Summerhayes

2. Advertisement

Sparklequeen
    Belives in Good Things Come To Those Who Wait.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Hi Hun so sorry about your loss the xy means your baby was a boy and the 18 means trisomy 18 Edwards syndrome. Its means your baby had this but never had it full blown sorry if i am not explaining well enough. One of my losses my little girl had trisomy 13 I found out about what the numbers mean for you hun here goes.

What is Partial Trisomy?
    Partial trisomy is the next type of trisomy, and there are two different types of partial trisomy. A partial trisomy occurs when only part of the extra chromosome exists in every cell. Chromosomes have two main parts - a "p" arm and a "q" arm. The "p" arm is the shorter of the two. Because of this division between the two parts, it is sometimes possible for only half of the chromosome to be present as extra information.

In the second instance, a "partial trisomy p or q" means that the child has only a portion of one or the other half of the chromosome. This is the most common type of partial trisomy, and comes with some crazy numbers. For example, 46XX, dup(18), (p12 -> p11.2) This means that only the portion of chromosome eighteen found between 12 and 11.2 on the short end of the chromosome is found in triplicate.

New genetics research has determined that there are different "qualities" of chromosomal material. Approximately equal amounts of triplicated chromosomal material from the q arm of chromosome 2, for example, cause more abnormalities than the same amount of triplicated material from the p arm. In other words, in our insatiable desire to predict “how affected” our child may be, we should not assume that just because they only have a partial trisomy they will be better off than those with full trisomy

Here is a web site that explaines more hun

http://www.trisomy18support.org/modu...php?category=3

XXX
    XX

Recurrent Miscarriages.
    Immunes. DQ Alpha Match 0201 + CD19+CD5+cells.
    Raised TSH + FT3
    Blood Clotting Disorder in 2001/2008. Flares up when pg.

ChristyAnn
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Sparklequeen.
    Christy
    T J

I had cast my lot with a soldier, and where he was, was home to me.
    Martha Summerhayes

Sparklequeen
    Belives in Good Things Come To Those Who Wait.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Your welcome sweet heart XXX
    XX

Recurrent Miscarriages.
    Immunes. DQ Alpha Match 0201 + CD19+CD5+cells.
    Raised TSH + FT3
    Blood Clotting Disorder in 2001/2008. Flares up when pg.