FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Mthfr

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    scaredmom
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Mthfr

I just got diagnosed with MTHFR homozygous and I am 10 weeks pregnant. I do not meet with a doctor until next week but am very scared I've caused damage to my current baby. I do not fully understand this, actually don't understand it much at all. What I've read says your body does not absorb folic acid like it should. I have been on a normal prenatal vitamin but nothing else and am very scared that I have hurt my baby since I was not on other medication to help with the folic acid the first 10 weeks? Is there a good chance my baby with have a disability now? Thanks

2. Advertisement

TnTs2Ds
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm very new to this diagnosis also. I just had a fetal demise at 18 weeks the beginning of February. Fall of 2007, miscarriage at 13 weeks. Recent testing diagnosed me with MTHFR on both mutations. The good news....I have two healthy beautiful boys ages 10.5 & almost 7. No problems... so there is hope for you in my opinion.

Good luck and try to relax I know...easier said than done!
    Teena

BREEZY
    So in love with my Girlies!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    In Love
    I got dx with MTHFR (1 copy of the C mutation) 2 months before I got pg. My OB put me on Baby aspirin and a prenatal vitamin with extra folic acid (you can take OTC folic acid too) MTHFR is a blood clotting disorder,that can cause early m/c's....I was never informed of it causing birth deffects/disabilities. And I did a lot of research as soon as I found out I had it. I would ask about the baby aspirin....after 3 m/c's i consider it my "magic pill"
    Good Luck to you!

*BELLYRUBS*
    ME (29) DH (33)
    DX MTHFR.....3 lost angels

mrs_trup
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    scaredmom-
    I know it's hard, but try to relax. that will make a huge difference in your body's preparation for this baby. having these types of complications do not mean that your child will be disabled. it's a blood condition - so you stay hydrated, active and alert to what's going on. for me, i take folic acid, flintstones gummies and give myself shots of lovenox every day. it's what works for me and it's similar to what works for others and what a lot of dr.s will tell you. it sucks, yes, but it's what some of us have to deal with. i consider myself lucky that we're in the era that we're in. there was no information on these conditions 20 years ago and no explanations for the demises. we're geared up and informed on just about anything that comes our way. be strong - it's a lot to handle but it can be done.
    ~mrs_trup
    P.S. I didn't find out about my MTHFR or Factor V Leiden until I was about 20 weeks pregnant my first time and it turned out fine.