FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Carrier for X-ALD with questions

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Luna22
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Carrier for X-ALD with questions

I had difficulty getting pg with my first son. He is a Clomid baby after having tried for several years. Now, I have be diagnosed as a carrier for x-linked adrenoleukodystrophy. My son is healthy, he doesn't have the gene. My second attempt at having a child will be more involved than the first because it will have to be through IVF w/PGD. I want to have another child, I feel that it will benefit my son to have a sibling, but maybe all of my difficulties are a sign that I should leave well enough alone. I have a wonderful healthy baby, he is a joy and I love him more than I thought was possible. That love grows everyday. Just as with the first attempt at getting pregnant I want desperately to have a baby again, but this time the territory is so unfamiliar that I have many unanswered questions. I guess, despite my true desire for number two, I just don't know what to do. Any ideas?

2. Advertisement

RyansHope
    My chickie's closing in on TWO!!
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired
    Hi, If you are still around FT, I was wondering what you decided to do.
    I am waiting for the results of my son's genetic tests. Waiting to see if his hydrocephalus due to aqueductal stenosis was x-linked. If it was, we'll have to do a fresh IVF cycle and do gender selection rather than FET in March.

Luna22
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still around. Well, I decided that I would try it with clomid again. We have a 75% chance that the baby will not have the disease (50% if it is a girl, 25% unaffected boy). I know it seems risky. But, I wouldn't trade my son for anything in the world even if he was sick. So, I know I will love a new baby regardless of the outcome. I figure I do my part and let the universe do the rest. Does that sound too cheesy?

I'm really sorry to hear about your son. I hope that everything comes out ok. I know that this is a very hard time. The waiting is the worst. It almost drove me crazy. Please let me know how things turn out. Sometimes you just need someone to listen and be there for you.

Best of luck with everything.

Luna22
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Silly me. I also noticed that we have a lot in common as far as PCOS too. I'm sorry about your loss.

pinkbabe
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Luna, i am new to this site, and i am also a carrier of ALD. I am 37 years old, and im waiting for my first cycle of IVF with PGD. I do not have any children already, as i did not know that PGD was available until just recently. My father died at age 56 years old with ALD, which was very painful and upsetting to watch, and i did not want to put another human being through this terrible time, not even to have a girl, that may only be a carrier like myself, as there is still heartache, deciding what to do for the best in my future. If you or anyone else would like to discuss anything, then i will be here. x

Luna22
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry to hear about your father. I know it is hard to see the suffering and I understand not wanting to inflict that on a child. The more I thought about those risks the more I wanted to wait and see how I felt. I finally decided that I am going to do IVF with PGD as soon as I change insurances. Better safe than sorry. I wish you luck with your go at it. I'd love to hear about your progress and chat some more. My thoughts will be with you.

pinkbabe
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Luna,
    Im so glad you have decided to choose IVF with PGD, it is such a great opportunity for people like ourselves. I would love to keep in touch with you, to see how your going too. I am still waiting to be referred, hopefully soon. Take care, and all the very best to you! keep in touch x